First review on Beowulf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First review on Beowulf

from aintitcool.com, a site that gets a lot of scoops from the sci-fi/fantasy movie world.

There are some weeks as a film fan where I genuinely feel blessed. This week was one of those. It started off this Monday with a screening of BEOWULF in 3D, then came THE MIST and then finally this morning with a digital screening of the...

BEOWULF is indeed a work of Legend! - So Says Harry!

There are some weeks as a film fan where I genuinely feel blessed. This week was one of those. It started off this Monday with a screening of BEOWULF in 3D, then came THE MIST and then finally this morning with a digital screening of the final fondling of BLADE RUNNER.

Now I know BEOWULF’s characters have looked less than life like – and the overall look isn’t quite the FRANK FRAZETTA painting that we had hoped for, but here’s the secret of this film.

It seems nobody in advance of production thought to look at the film from the stand point of which sequence to get ready first to get folks the absolute most excited for the film. What was shown at Comic Con was ill-conceived as a clip. The “Austin Powers” Beowulf with Grendel’s arm – a truncated battle scene and Angelina Jolie appearing are not the moments that you come away with at the end of the final product.

What strikes me is this… In the entire history of American Animated/Mimed/Puppeted films… we’ve never seen an adult story told. And in this case, we’re literally dealing with one of the greatest stories, myths or legends ever told – re-interpretated by the co-quills of Neil Gaiman and Roger Avary.

Let me start at the beginning. When the film starts – I was distracted by the look of the movie… for about 5 minutes. Then, suddenly… as the tormented Grendel begins to be pained by the noisy humans… the loud, inconsiderate, drunk, fornicating braggarts of Denmark… It pains poor Grendel… and he communicates this physically, not in dialogue… and the result is filled with pathos. He’s a tumored, diseased demon creature… some horrid half-breed of man and the supernatural. He turned out twisted and sad… anything, but magnificent – and the pain that human kind causes him in his cave… far far away could not be conceived by those in the valley below.
    >
    >
    I have to give it to Zemeckis, Avary and Gaiman – they pulled it off. None of us that watched this screening thought we’d be cheering or trumpeting this. When I read Moriarty’s review – I was worried that he’d taken some devil’s weed into those boisterous lungs of his – and his judgment was hampered…

Instead, I can say he’s just insane, in regards to Malkovich’s character. Who has a fascinating arc… going from disbeliever to being the first to swallow the Kool-Aid. He goes from believing in nothing, to believing in Beowulf, to being a believer in Christ. A true believer, whose beliefs are shaken, but not crushed.

The 3D is spectacular, but is overtaken by the story itself. I ceased to be concerned with the dimensional beauty – and was taken by the story and the characters. And with a movie that’s spending over a million a minute – for the story to shine above all is something I think we could all wish for more often.

On another note… in the history of Man versus Dragons – you’ve never ever seen anything even approaching how ****ing awesome this scene is. It’s truly jaw-dropping and awe-inspiring.

Alan Silvestri’s score is pitch perfect and all the work by all the digital artist continued to create a legendary place for our imaginations to play. And Doug Chiang? BRAV-****ing-O!!! Great Dragon!!!

See this any way you can, but if you can see it in 3D… be it IMAX, REAL D or DOLBY3D… get to it.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
    the loud, inconsiderate, drunk, fornicating braggarts of Denmark
    Some things never change

...joke, btw. Danmark er et dejligt sted.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I saw bits of the movie and was astonished by the look of the characters and cinematics etc. very very well done!!!!!

Comment

Get used to it. They're going to do the same thing with a motion-capture remake of Disney's "The Black Hole", the European comic book "TinTin" and a bunch of other coming features.

BTW: Beowulf is ADULTS ONLY!! No way should kiddies see it as much of the material is very grown up, if you get my drift.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

come on, just because you see a semi-nude angelina jolie? the movie is rated from 12 years on around here...

anway - the trailer looks horrible, if you ask me. like some cheap budget-movie whatever...

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman View Post

anway - the trailer looks horrible, if you ask me. like some cheap budget-movie whatever...
            I was thinking the same thing...looked pretty crappy
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Are we really discussing the same movie? I've seen the trailers, both short and long, and it looks HORRIBLE. But now AICN says it's so good I have to see it, and that the trailer is crap and meaningless?

Hmm... I think I'll wait until someone here sees it.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

We saw a preview at the theater when we saw 30 Days of Night and it looked great.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Why would they do a remake of The Black Hole of any kind for any reason? The original was barely watchable (although it does have a certain campy charm).

Kevin

edit Nevermind. I know why. It's the demon Mammon at work again.

Comment

The look reminds me of a cross between the Hobbit and 300.

Comment

Apparently the "animators" (if you can really call them that) of all of these hideous computer-generated Zemeckis abominations are zombies, or at least only hang out with actual undead. The two Final Fantasy movies were better than this crap.

Oh, did I mention I think the trailers look ghastly?

And I like the scene in the trailer where the crappy CG monster (the main "character") shouts something absurdly similar to "THIS..... IS...... SPARTA!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram View Post
                        . . . .
                        And I like the scene in the trailer where the crappy CG monster (the main "character") shouts something absurdly similar to "THIS..... IS...... SPARTA!!!!"
                        Exactly what I was thinking!

I am Beowulf!

I even liked 300. I have the DVD but to pay for something trying to be like it either by accident or on purpose just seems to be a waste.

Comment

first reviews in the newspapers are in, and oh boy, do they trash the movie.

still thinking about finally watching a 3d-movie again, sadly the local IMAX was closed 2 years ago.

mfg
                          wulfman
                          "Lobsters?"

Comment

RottenTomatoes.com: 75% (Fresh; average of 63 reviews)

Chicago Sun Times: *** (out of four)

Chicago Tribune: ** (out of four)

Detroit News: ** (out of four, but based on the past the reviewer doesn't like CG animation)

USA Today: * * * (out of four)

Sexy, powerful 'Beowulf' transforms ancient epic

Beowulf couldn't be less faithful to the original epic poem, and that's actually a good thing for moviegoers.

It's a lot more fun than the mythic adventure most of us read in school.

As envisioned by director Robert Zemeckis, Beowulf is a sight to behold: The landscape and visuals are powerfully sweeping, the action sequences exhilarating and kinetic — especially in IMAX 3-D, which is the best way to see it.

Sure, there is a distracting waxy quality to the digital versions of flesh-and-blood actors — and there's plenty of flesh, adding a whiff of sexiness to the story, which could rankle purists. The story leaves the requisite sequel possibility open. But this retelling is exuberantly entertaining. Though Beowulf doesn't have the emotional depth of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Zemeckis' technical wizardry and eye-popping camera angles make it an involving and dazzling sensory experience. The climactic final battle, though protracted, is astonishing.

Because Beowulf was directed by Zemeckis (and not, say, Mel Gibson), the film is in English, rather than the Old English/Anglo-Saxon of the original.

Anthony Hopkins plays Danish prince Hrothgar, whose kingdom is plagued by the deadly rampages of Grendel (Crispin Glover), who is doted on by his evil mother (a seductive Angelina Jolie). Though the court and its populace try to distract themselves by drinking mead and engaging in other lusty occupations, they are sorely in need of a hero.

Enter Beowulf (Ray Winstone).

"I am Beowulf, and I am here to kill your monster," he promises. It's a simple statement that kicks the film into high gear. The psychological arc of his compromised character as he ages isn't nearly as compelling as his startling physicality and daring feats.

The artfulness of the computer-generated imagery isn't always consistent, but the power of the 3-D effect compensates: We soar over the dramatic wintry landscape and dodge and duck as a winged dragon snaps in our direction or spears hurtle our way. It's hard to resist such sheer escapism.

Speaking of adolescent elements, there is a long sequence in which the well-muscled Beowulf/computerized Winstone is naked. During Beowulf's scene in the altogether, the camera deftly avoids frontal nudity in a variety of creative and humorous ways.

Perhaps this breathtaking spectacle will inspire kids to read the original epic poem (or the 2000 version translated by Seamus Heaney). Maybe it will just pack them into theaters. Either way, having Beowulf become a household name can certainly do no harm.
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 November 2007, 21:50.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

friends of mine decided to see the movie (3d digital projection, yay) - and let me tell you: that was definitely the worst movie I've seen in 2007, and probably in the last few years. where the hell did they dump those 100 million $$? washing money, huh?

3d - mediocre, compared to some IMAX-stuff I had seen.
                              animation - bloody awful. horses - blah, people like puppets.
                              landscape as seen in PC games in the late 90ties (white-grey-brown-smear with pop-up grass),
                              environmental sounds - hardly any
                              story - why did Neil Gaiman allow them to put his name on that stuff? 300 had some cheesy lines, but was worlds better than that.

I usually don't bash movies (hey, I was laughing about "eight legged freaks", and that got 5.4 on IMDB), but woah, that one sucked. the two final fantasy movies looked better, seriously. avoid if possible. I can only pity those who've seen it in regular 2d.

mfg
                              wulfman
                              Last edited by Wulfman; 16 December 2007, 16:48.
                              "Lobsters?"

Comment

Working...
                              X