network connection dropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network connection dropping

I have an Asus a8n32 SLI Deluxe, and I'm using the onboard Nforce 4 NIC. I'm having an issue where every half an hour or so, my network connection drops out, and then resumes itself a minute or so later.

It's incredibly annoying.

No other computers connected to this router have this issue.

I'm running the latest driver for the NIC.

Help?

A few things:

1. What happens if you bypass the router and plug straight into the cable/dsl modem/router?

2. By default, nic cards and routers/switches are set to auto. More times than not, these auto connections can be mismatched. Try manually setting speed/duplex. Some routers won't allow this.

3. download ethereal, sniff the wire and see what is going on.

Cheers!
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

did you try switching cables?
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia View Post
        A few things:

1. What happens if you bypass the router and plug straight into the cable/dsl modem/router?
        I probably piss off my roommate. :-)

I suppose I could try that for diagnostic purposes.

2. By default, nic cards and routers/switches are set to auto. More times than not, these auto connections can be mismatched. Try manually setting speed/duplex. Some routers won't allow this.
        I manually set the properties on the NIC, fwiw.

3. download ethereal, sniff the wire and see what is going on.
        Can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
          did you try switching cables?
          Yep.

Comment

Did you try switching ports?
            FT.

Comment

Powersaving kicking in?
              Verify the powersaving options of the network adapter (if any) in the device manager.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                Did you try switching ports?
                Yessir.

Comment

Well, I'm guessing it's hardware related at this point. I run a dual boot on this machine, and it's happened under linux. Dammit.

When I get a chance, I'll have to bypass the router to see if it's the router itself or something in my machine.

Comment

I'm with you that it is most likely hardware.
                    I had a Biostar NForce3 board that acted something like this.
                    It would drop it's connection whenever I tried to DL or copy a really large file over it.
                    Not just to the internet, but to other machines in our home network.
                    I tried different cables, bioses, and drivers but nothing helped.

I finally just gave up chasing it, installed a pci nic and turned off the onboard one.
                    The problem never returned.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

I am not sure on you model but quite a few nvidia chipset network connections with the built in fire walls have had similar issues like these. From what I can recall disabling checksum offloading(device manger) may help, but I think it should have been fixed by now...eg make sure you have the latest bios/firmware.

Comment

nVidia makes crap network cards, and has since nForce3. It's sad, really, that they can't manage to even make as good a NIC as they did on the nForce2.

I highly recommend just getting yourself a nice 3c905 (or whatever the gigabit equivalent is). I've got several floating around and apply them liberally.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah, the nVidia NIC on my DFI kicked the bucket long ago. Luckily, this board had a second NIC onboard.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Here is a nice solid 10/100/1000 NIC for $8
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                              I'm with you that it is most likely hardware.
                              I had a Biostar NForce3 board that acted something like this.
                              It would drop it's connection whenever I tried to DL or copy a really large file over it.
                              Not just to the internet, but to other machines in our home network.
                              Yup. I'll actually get the "The network cable is unplugged" notification.

I tried different cables, bioses, and drivers but nothing helped.

I finally just gave up chasing it, installed a pci nic and turned off the onboard one.
                              The problem never returned.
                              I may have to resort to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X