Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should it suck or blow

Greetings people

That message thread title should give cyber nannies a fun time :-)

Well after following the general concensus of advice based around my stated requirements, you kindly gave me a couple of weeks ago, I now have sitting in front of me a shiny ASUS P2B motherboard, Celery 466, slot 1 adaptor and an ATX case fan.

Q1. A simple question, after mounting the case fan on the front of the computer (a midi-tower ATX case), should cold air be sucked in from the outside or the warmer air sucked out.

Q.2 I'm a bit lazy and don't really want to go through the hassel of reformatting and reinstalling Win98 and all my apps so soon after doing it the last time. Has anyone done the following when upgrading a motherboard, just prior to shutting down the computer for the last time, going to the system manager box and deleting all the hardware entries, shutting down the PC installing the new motherboard/CPU then powering it up and letting Win98 get on with working out what happened.

Or do I bite the bullet and start from scratch.

As always, any advice gratefully received.

Peter

1) Place the fan to blow in. Exhast fans need to be at the top of the case. The front fans are meant to blow cold air on the cards.

2) I have not installed a MB without a new HD. I would leave everything as it is, don't screw with hardware in System Control Panel, and start it up. You may find that there is no problem and save a lot of work. If you need to, you can always reformat the HD and reinstall Windows if this fails.

MHO

Comment

Congrats on the new board Peter! Did you make sure to get the newest revison of the board?

I know you'll find the board to be all you can ask for! Besides, look at the German ASUS-page for updated bios's (also beta's), since they're a lot faster on updating!

------------------
      ASUS P2B-S, PII-350 (o/c to 412MHz), 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1 GB, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB 64AWE, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, Sony CDU-924S CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.
      ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

But, booting into Safe Mode, and deleting everything from the Device Manager is a good idea. I've done it in the past. Just make sure it's the LAST boot of your old system, or you'll have to reboot 3 times, and then try again.

-Wombat
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

....and copy your Win98 cab files from the CD onto your HD for easier access
          P4 2.53GHz, Intel D845PEBT2, 1GB Ram, G400 Max, Adaptec 19160 running, 2 Maxtor 18GB 10KRPM HD, Toshiba 40/10 SCSI DVD-Rom, Plextor 32/12/10 SCSI CD-RW, Seagate 80GB Barracuda IV, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Viewsonic G790 19" Monitor

Comment

Thanks everybody,

Well I'm about to begin the upgrade process, assuming it all goes well should be back online later tonight.

Vikingman

I went to my preferred PC supplier (once they had all the bits in stock), SMC in Slough, UK., the P2B box when it arrived had an SMC original stock date sticker of 29.10.99, and on inspection is a Rev 1.12 board, so it must be pretty new <g>

The printed manual however was hopelessly out of date re:jumper settings for the newer processors, however a quick visit to the ASUS website and an PDF manual download solved that problem.

Catch you all later.

Peter

Comment

Working...
            X