Weird overclocking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird overclocking problem

I just got a P3-450 that I'm trying to run at 504 mhz. The problem I have is if I run a large file or try to install something off my CD-ROM my computer slows to a crawl and then even locks up. I tried running the FSB @112 and 124 but it still locks up. The odd thing is that if I run a fairly demanding program like the UT demo it runs like a top without any problems. I'm guess it could be something with the HD or the CD-ROM drive. I have a 13 GB Western Ditigal HD and a Asus 40x CD-ROM drive on the same IDE channel.

Forgot I have a BH6 motherboard also

------------------
    C300A@464,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM, 2x CDR, WD 13.6 GB HD,SupraMax 56k modem

[This message has been edited by GT98 (edited 05 November 1999).]
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I have been told that you should always try to run two IDE components off of different channels. Both as masters. Try this.

Comment

Well the problem of the me running both devices off different IDE channels is that I also have a IDE DVD drive and IDE ZIP drive. The DVD and ZIP aren't UDMA complant accordding to my BIOS when it boots up and they slow down everything when I mixed the UDMA devices with them (my Western Digital Drive and CD-ROM Drive are UDMA33 complant, with the WD drive also UDMA66 complant). I'm going to try disabling UDMA later to see how that works but I'm wondering how much of performance slow down I'm going to take doing that.

Scott

PS anyone have what the PCI bus is running at 112 and 124 mhz?

------------------
      P3-450@???,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM, 2x CDR, WD 13.6 GB HD,SupraMax 56k modem

Comment

As I understand it (this may be wrong), the problem with reading from one device and writing to another one on the same channel is that you cannot read and write simultaneously on the same IDE channel. But if you have em on separate channels, your machine can read from the CDROM and write to the HD at almost the same time, therby speeding things up.

------------------
        The Rock
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed."
        -- Albert Einstein
        Bart

Comment

Thanks for the info but I didn't have this problem before I went to the oddball FSB settings with the P3 I just got. my Celeron I had before was running fine at 100 mhzx4.5.

Scott

------------------
          P3-450@???,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM, 2x CDR, WD 13.6 GB HD,SupraMax 56k modem

Comment

have your tryed running prime95 and other test programs with out problems? maybe your hard drive cant hack udma being on at 124 bus speed have you tryed turning dma off and seeing if the problem continues ?
            msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
            it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Well Think I figured out what the problem was with my system. A couple weeks ago I upgraded the firmware on my Aopen DVD drive. Tonight, while dumping out my system (needed it..did a couple flaky things hear and there). I was messing around with the bios settings after the Data Lifeguard tools told me that I need to use their little program since my BIOS was suppoity not compatle with the HD. I redected the HD in the BIOS and accidently wiped out the rest of my IDE settings for my CD-ROM, ZIP Drive, and DVD drive in the process. Well I went back in and set them to auto and guess what happens? The DVD drive is now showing UDMA/33 in the BIOS! Before this it was showing PIO mode 3. I proceeded to install Win98SE and I haven't had a hiccup yet. I turned the wick up 558 on the processor and I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Scott

------------------

Comment

GT98,

The BH6 ver. 1. uses a FSB to PCI divider of 1/3 at all speeds above 100 Mhz, thus resulting in PCI speeds of 37(112), 41(124) and 44(133).

Are you using Win98SE? I seem to remember getting the same kinds of slow operation with the 1. edition of Win98. It could also be your bios version. Make sure you are running Ver. LN if you have a ver. 1 motherboard.

Regards,

Jake
                Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
                ----------------------
                Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

i have the same problem..asus 50x asus p2b p3450@600..it's the ****in cd-rom...when i take it all runs well...but when i put it back the hd start making strange noises and the win98 hungs up

Comment

Working...
                  X