Detention for kids goodbye hugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detention for kids goodbye hugs

This whole school political-correctness stuff is getting f'ing stupid.

What's next? No handshaking? No high fives?

Hell, most of the Italians I know would have spent their whole school career in detention

Link.....

Student gets detention for giving 'hug goodbye'

Parents to ask school board to change rule

MASCOUTAH --

Eighth-grader Megan Coulter said she never thought she could get in trouble for hugging.

The Mascoutah Middle School student said she couldn't believe it when Assistant Principal Randy Blakely approached her after school Friday with a two-day detention sentence for hugging two of her friends.

"I feel it is crazy," she said. "I was just giving them a hug goodbye for the weekend."

Superintendent Sam McGowen said he thinks the penalty is fair. He said Blakely and Principal Bob Stone were following the policy contained in the student handbook, which every student owns, every parent has read and the board of education approved.

"The principal and assistant principal who handled this were following the policy set out in the handbook," he said.

Megan's mother, Melissa Coulter, said she can't believe it.

"It's hilarious to the point of ridicule," Coulter said. "I'm still dumbfounded that she's having to do this."

Megan served her first after-school detention Monday and she will serve her second detention after school today -- one for each hug.

Coulter said her initial response was that her daughter must have done more than hug her friends to deserve detention. She said they weren't even full-on hugs, just an innocent arm around the shoulder and slight squeeze.

"Nobody can believe it," she said.

Coulter said she spoke with McGowen and Blakely about the incident and they both justified Megan's detention sentence by referring to the student handbook, which states:

"Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved. First offenders will be warned. Second offenders will serve detention and a parent conference will be held. Third offenders will serve in-school suspension."

Coulter said Megan was considered a "second offender" because she gave two hugs.

Coulter said she and her husband Dean wanted to contest Megan's penalty, but told her to go ahead and serve her detentions because the only other option was a day of suspension for each skipped detention.

"We don't agree with it, but I certainly don't want her to get in more trouble," Coulter said.

Instead, she said they plan to attend the next school board meeting Nov. 15 to see whether board members will consider rewording the policy or be more specific in what it considers a display of affection.

Megan said she's hoping the board reconsiders the policy.

"I'm just hoping the school board will open their eyes and just realize that maybe they shouldn't be punishing us for hugs."
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Simply retarded.
    #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
    people do all day!"

Comment

1, What do the circumstances described have to do with "Political-Correctness" as it is commonly defined?

2, What is it with Jr. High assistant principals? They don't seem to have changed in the 42 years since I was in Jr High.

As for the superintendent defending such blatant stupidity.
      School bureaucracies seem to develop a "Circle the Wagons" behavior habit far surpassing that of other organizations in it depth of mindlessness.
      I wonder why?
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

The term PC isn't exclusive to politics but is often used for stupid things in general when applied by a government institution, and schools quality. They are political institutions at their core and operate as such.

Many of these new policies have political origins. Anti-gunners went overboard so now we have kids getting expelled for drawing anything that even looks like a gun. Feminists went overboard and so we have all manner free speech restrictions; mom & dad are discouraged lest it offend gays etc. This policy stems from an overboard reaction to teen sex and 'improper touching'.

If you don't think these movements are political I suggest you attend your school board meetings. It's enough to make you retch.

Jr. High principals (and all other levels) have changed; they've gotten worse. The reason is simple; school administrators are no longer require to be a teacher before taking their positions. All they need is a Masters of School Administration (or equivalent - the title varies by university). This of course means they're brain dead when it comes to day to day experience with kids of any age. Most of them are so inexperienced they don't even have kids of their own, and YES it makes a big difference.

The behavior of the administration is easy; they're insecure in their decision, but cannot admit in public they blew it...especially if an election is close at hand. As such they will defend the indefensible until the bitter end, then when they 'surrender' they'll make it sound like the policy change was their idea.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 November 2007, 12:34.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          Jr. High principals (and all other levels) have changed; they've gotten worse.
          Oh, I don't know.
          I spent time in detention for coming out of Gym class with the back of my shirt tail untucked once in 1965
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
          X