• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember, remember!

Remember, remember,
    The fifth of November,
    Gunpowder, treason and plot!

Where is Guy Fawkes now, when we need him most!

Penny for the Guy, Mister?

(Bet that one's lost on most of our American friends! )
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Nope, wrong....we learned about Guy Fawkes in our history classes. So did all of our grown children as he was part of their history classes as well.

"V for Vendetta" was also a also a popular '80's graphic novel and 2005 movie here (they still play it several times a week on cable), and it had a review of Guy Fawkes at its beginning (a bit inaccurate though in that it didn't portray his gallows suicide in favor of a straight hanging). In addition this year there are all kinds of Guy Fawkes masks available in Halloween stores so people could put together "V" or Guy Fawkes outfits. I saw examples of both running around this Halloween.

Erik has only been exposed to the "V for Vendetta" movie, and it cued up his curiosity so off to Wikipedia he went. I had to fill in a few gaps covering the how/why of the Catholic/Protestant schism, so now he's also aware of the history.

So...yes, we know about Guy Fawkes and the V character he inspired in modern media.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 November 2007, 04:09.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ah, but how many Yanks would have been familiar with the film without "Padmé"?
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Probably a lot since the Wakowski brothers were attached with the film, which means they would have gotten another hot actress to the part is Natalie Portman hadn't taken it.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Exactly.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

That reminds me I want to watch that movie again.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

And I just got a craving for an eggie in the basket
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 November 2007, 02:16.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                And I just got a craving for an eggie in the basket
                I've been makin those about once a month since I first saw V
                Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I used to make that in the dorms several decades ago. I don't recall where I picked it up. Wiki claims it's a common American comfort food ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_in_the_basket ). It was seen in a '41 Betty Grable movie so it's been around for some time. Wonder where it originated?
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I find it tastes like French Toast, so I put syrup on em yummm
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

i loaned that movie to my sister about 4 weeks ago. every time i go by her house the position of the dvd has gotten closer and closer to the tv room in the basement.

Monday it was on the steps leading down to the basement so i suspect it wont be long now.
                      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Are you sure it isn't moving itself?
                        FT.

Comment

I was going to post an illustrated egg in a basket recipe here, but decided to make a new thread of it.

See you eggy fans there

And quotes from "V for Vendetta", this one at the point where he's introducing himself to Evey Hammond;

“Voila! In View, a humble Vaudevillian Veteran, cast Vicariously as both Victim and Villain by the Vicissitudes of fate. This Visage, no mere Veneer of Vanity, is a Vestige of the Vox populi, now Vacant, Vanished. However, this Valorous Visitation of a bygone Vexation stands Vivified, and has Vowed to Vanquish these Venal and Villian Vermin Vanguarding Vice and Vouchsafing the Violently Vicious and Voracious Violation of Volition!

*cuts up Norsefire poster*

The only Verdict is Vengeance, a Vendetta held as a Votive, not in Vain, for the Value and Veracity of such shall one day Vindicate the Vigilant and the Virtuous, (heh heh heh, heh heh) Verily, this Vichyssoise of Verbiage Veers most Verbose so let me simply add that it is my Very good honor to meet you, and you may call me V.”
                          and this one at the point just before V wrings the neck of Norsefire party chief Creedy
                          "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh... Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 November 2007, 09:03.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Actually I somehow hated that part of the movie

Usually I don't need subtitles, but at this point I was totally lost

Comment

OTOH, I've spent a lot of time at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival and got it on the first try
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X