Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ladies and Gentlemen we have lift-off. Sub $200 HD-DVD players are here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies and Gentlemen we have lift-off. Sub $200 HD-DVD players are here.

Circuit City

Walmart

And just in time for the holiday season. I think this will open the flood gates.
    If Blu-Ray doesn't respond quickly it will lose this battle.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Agreed. The first one to the checkout counter at a low price before the holiday shopping season usually wins.

BluRay could be destined to the same fate as BETA; a lucrative niche market but nowhere near the dollar value that VHS had.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 October 2007, 03:16.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I would caution anybody thinking about buying a new high definition optical disc player to MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN *before* buying the unit that it will play consumer-recordable high definition optical media.

In other words, if you plan to buy the Toshiba "HD DVD" player, then be sure it will play "HD DVD-R" consumer recordable media.

While the Toshiba units -- I have verified -- will play normal "DVD-R" discs containing high definition "HD DVD" images, I have not had the opportunity to find out if the Toshiba units will play "HD DVD-R" media.

Many of the "Blu-ray Disc" players on the market REFUSE TO PLAY consumer-recordable "BD-R" media.

Since I've decided not to participate in "dead as disco" high definition optical disc formats, I don't have to worry about it personally.

I'll be streaming high definition video to my TVs long before all of the bugs are worked out of the optical disc format war fiasco.

Jerry Jones
      I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

"Because HD DVD is a new format that makes use of new technologies, certain disc, digital connection and other compatibility and/or performance issues are possible."

From page 28 of the PDF manual for the Toshiba HD-A2.

Link to the PDF file:

On page 28, the only compatible disc types that are listed are as follows:

1. HD DVD video disc
        2. DVD video disc
        3. Audio CD
        4. DVD-RW
        5. DVD-R
        6. CD-RW
        7. CD-R

...and that's all that is officially supported.

Now maybe this player also supports "DVD+R" and "DVD+RW" and maybe this player supports "HD DVD-R" and other non-listed disc types.

I suppose firmware upgrades might allow for disc types beyond those officially listed in the manual.

But this is definitely another typical "BUYER BEWARE" situation for consumers.

WATCH OUT.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Of course if your burner can set the HD DVD booktype HD DVD-R/+R could work.

Also; the HD REC extension was approved by the DVD Forum on September 12, 2007. HD REC allows storing HD content on regular red laser DVDs using H.264 AVC.

There's also this method;

Nero Ultimate 7 edition:

First create your HD DVD folders.

1) Open Nero Burning Rom.
          2) From “New Compilation” Window scroll down to DVD-ROM (UDF) and select it.
          3) Click on the Multisession tab
          4) Click “No Multisession”
          5) Click on the “UDF” Tab
          6) In the Options combo box click on Manual settings (advanced users only)
          7) In the File System version: combo box click on the UDF 2.5 (NOT 2.6!)
          8) Click New
          9) Add your folders; ADV_OBJ and HVDVD_TS
          10) Click Burn
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 October 2007, 13:07.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It would be nice if the $200 players played the user burned discs but for 99% of the people I believe they're going to just play commercially recorded discs so it won't be much of an issue.

I have read rumors that "Black Friday" may show the first $99 HD-DVD players. If this is true then people (like me) may buy them NOT as investments but just to try out the format.
            - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

If you go way back in the forum, you'll recall I bought a Toshiba DVD player when they were "only" $250 in anticipation of DVD-R and low and behold the thing could not play burned disks!

I won't be first this time around. I'm not really that interested in Hollywood movies.

--wally.

Comment

Originally posted by wkulecz View Post
                If you go way back in the forum, you'll recall I bought a Toshiba DVD player when they were "only" $250 in anticipation of DVD-R and low and behold the thing could not play burned disks!

I won't be first this time around. I'm not really that interested in Hollywood movies.

--wally.
                Exactly.

I don't wish to be harsh, but I sincerely believe the high definition DVD manufacturers should lower the price of these players to less than $100.

I'm sorry, but much of this stuff is worthless electronic junk.

In fewer than 12 months, it will be widely regarded as obsolete.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Jones View Post

In fewer than 12 months, it will be widely regarded as obsolete.

Jerry Jones
                  http://www.jonesgroup.net

That is of course unless you are still using and enjoying it.

For example. I would consider a P4 useless junk but many people are happily using them productively so I cannot make that statement for OTHER PEOPLE. It would be quite misguided.
                  - Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Jones View Post
                    I don't wish to be harsh, but I sincerely believe the high definition DVD manufacturers should lower the price of these players to less than $100.
                    Hmmmm.

They must be reading my comments:

Still waiting to jump into the high def disc game? Or just wanted another weaker, cheaper player for the last-gen TV you phased out to your rumpus room? Well, whatever your reasons, some (not all!) Wal-Mart locations will be selling Toshiba HD-A2s for $100 -- down from $200 -- this Friday. Ridiculous, we know. Blu-ray gonna fight back? We hope so, we'd really like to get our hands on one for under $300, and not just by using our hookup that sells gear out of his trunk, you know?[Thanks to everyone who sent this in]

...some (not all!) Wal-Mart locations will be selling Toshiba HD-A2s for $100 -- down from $200 -- this Friday.

Jerry Jones

Comment

$99 HD-DVD player price confirmed but it looks to be a bait the customer into the store item.

Still, pricing this low this fast is crazy enough to bring disco back!
                      - Mark

Comment

I'll buy one as well, $99 is worth it and I think will kill Blu-Ray if Sony doesn't act fast.

I wonder if it will playback at 1080P though? Or is it one of those, you get what you pay for deals?

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                          I wonder if it will playback at 1080P though?
                          Nope.

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

No 1080p output
                          Jerry Jones

Comment

Thanks Jerry, yeah it sux it can't play 1080P while the A1 can. Also the upscaling capabilities are not up to the quality of the XA2 which is more money.

I'll hold off for now.

Regards,
                            Elie

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                              Thanks Jerry, yeah it sux it can't play 1080P while the A1 can. Also the upscaling capabilities are not up to the quality of the XA2 which is more money.

I'll hold off for now.

Regards,
                              Elie

As my TV only works at 720P / 1080i then it's acidemic what the player output is..
                              paulw

Comment

Working...
                              X