Clear All

• Worlds hottest pepper

1,000,000 Scoville units

Hope they sell the seeds

Link.....

Hottest Chile Pepper Shatters Record

By LiveScience Staff

posted: 26 October 2007 03:00 pm ET

It's hot. Scorching hot. Guinness World Records hot.

Researchers at New Mexico State University have discovered the world’s hottest chili pepper. It's called the Bhut Jolokia, a variety originating in Assam, India.

In tests that yield Scoville heat units (SHUs), the Bhut Jolokia reached 1 million SHUs, almost double the SHUs of former hotshot Red Savina (a type of habanero pepper), which measured a mere 577,000. The result was announced today by the American Society for Horticultural Science.

Chili is spelled "chile" by some, including Paul Bosland, director of the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State’s Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences. Bosland collected seeds of Bhut Jolokia while visiting India in 2001. He grew the plants for three years to produce enough seeds to complete the field tests.

"The name Bhut Jolokia translates as 'ghost chile,'" Bosland explained. "I think it’s because the chile is so hot, you give up the ghost when you eat it!"

The intense heat concentration of Bhut Jolokia could have a significant impact on the food industry as an economical seasoning in packaged foods, he said.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

That would certainly Jolokia my Bhut
    FT.

Comment

The packages needs to have the
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        1,000,000 Scoville units

Hope they sell the seeds
        I want to grow a couple of them myself, u know to make my special fried rice dish.

have heard a story about them being dried and used in cooking curries with one difference. they are hung up on a string in the kitchen and when the curry is being heated up to cook, the chili is dipped into the curry for a couple of minutes, god forbid if one of them drops into the curry (of course i wouldn't mind)

This goes on for a couple of weeks before they can be used like normal peppers.

granted this was told to me during a visit to India, by my uncle who used to cook in the army.
        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
          The packages needs to have the

Or something like this:

Comment

No this is the worlds hottest chili

There are super-hot chilli varieties. And then there's the sweat-inducing, tear-generating, mouth-on-fire Trinidad Moruga Scorpion.

With a name like that, it's not surprising that months of research by the experts at New Mexico's State University's Chile Pepper Institute have identified the variety as the new hottest pepper on the planet.

The golfball-sized pepper scored the highest among a handful of chilli breeds reputed to be among the hottest in the world. Its mean heat topped more than 1.2 million units on the Scoville heat scale, while fruits from some individual plants reached two million heat units.

Comment

Must-Try-SOON!!

Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
              X