Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting all the Licences

The company I’m working for are being bought, lock, stock and barrel

And the buyer wants us to index all software we use and what we have licenses for etc etc

And while the above is a bit of a headache its not that bad since we only have 9 computers and 2 of them are pure Linux boxes

I have already a pretty good idea of what we have licenses for and what BSA would scream bloody murder about

But since we are a service centre we have tons and tons off pressed original installation media (not just calling it software) that we don’t have installed on any computer that sometimes are just a dics (for some reason we have tons of Windows ME installation media, people don’t seem to want em back ) that we have absolutely no licences for and never will install on any of our computers, sometimes they come in handy when the customers HAVE a licence but no installation media.

Other stuff are boxed software that we have no proof of purchase for (win311, pc,ms,dr dos etc)

But the question is; Do we have to get rid of it?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

i just went through this same situation with nt4...i tossed them...i'm using a networked image server based on node type. i probably tossed a hundred oem media disk, shrink wrapped and everything.

i vote to toss the ME stuff since it isn't accountable software...ah hell...toss all that crap!

cc

Comment

As long as you are not using it, why not keep it for a time when you may need install media?
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Make an ISO, backup the files, and then archive the software on a file server of some type, "just in case," and then trash all the old stuff.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
        X