Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeezebox question

Hello,

My brother has recently ordered quite a system for music distribution: a ReadyNas NV+ (4x 500 GB in RAID5, which runs slimserver) + 4 squeezeboxes to stream the music to. However, he has no internet connection, and now the squeezeboxes are complaining that they cannot connect to the squeezenetwork to fetch a firmware update.

I have read that the firmware is closely linked to the software version of the slimserver, but of coruse we cannot update the slimserver that easily.

Any thoughts on how to stop the squeezeboxes complaining?
    (they work, but every couple of minutes, the message appears)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Reading a bit further, I got the impression that the firmware is closely linked to the version of Slimserver used; the nagging now in that case seems to hint that they are mismatched (server is currently not the latest, whereas the boxes themselve probabely have the latest versions).

Perhaps we'll update the server next weekend (it is available for download from the ReadyNas wiki).

Jörg
    pixar

Comment

You'd be better off askin on the slim devices forums. But I think the SBs do not connect to the net directly, but rather that SlimServer updates the Firmware, so he should just go through the update process with the server running.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I read up on it: the slimserver software is responsible for distributing the firmware to connected squeezeboxes (there is a link between slimserver version and firmware). However, the nas-box works differently, in that the firmware is not cached on the nas-box. So in order to update a firmware, you need an internet connection while the squeezeboxes are connected.
        There is a patch available for the nas to stop the squeezeboxes from complaining, but I think the better option is to update either the slimserver (from 6.5.2 to 6.5.4), or the firmware (I thing the first oprion is the best).

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Or update the SlimServer and connect the SBs to a PC with the new SS installed so they update their firmwares.

Comment

Hey, that is also an option... (stupid of me not to think of that)
            Thanks!

However, connecting it all to internet is possible for a short while (before we move everything in place).

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

After that, this shouldn't happen anymore unless he updates the SS on his NAS.

Comment

Yes, I figured the mismatch between slimserver version and firmware version was causing it...

Thanks!

I must say: those slimdevices are bigger than I expected. Too bad that they now have a large (IMO too large) logitech logo on the center - it destroys the styling somewhat.

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

My brother updated the slimserver on the nas to 6.5.4 and the squeezeboxes stopped complaining.
                  Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Working...
                  X