He's driving me BONKERS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's driving me BONKERS!

My uncle is driving me nuts with his inability to understand his image resize function of his photo-editing app (psp7).

He downloads pictures and wants to resize em so they fit some imaginary square.

Now he did realise that letting the program resample the images (shrinking em down) makes em look crapp, and that he has somewhat refusingly admitted that changing the dpi of the image (PSP7 either discards or don’t support getting the dpi from images so it defaults to 72dpi) works.

What he blankly refuses to understand is that the image aspect ratio setting is a factor of the image with and height.

He believes that it’s a “global value” that the program remembers for all pictures and that somehow he has “borked” it and wants me to fix it.

Since he downloads the pictures, not all of them have an aspect ratio that he prefers, but he blames the program for that

Now because he refuses to understand the aspect ratio it’s hard for me to “fix” it.

For a while he even had the idea that images he himself scanned ended up having the wrong “ratio” as he call it and that printing out a scanned image would make it warped.

What really tears it is when he’s telling me I’m being irrational when I wont help him “reset the ratio” in the software.

AAAAARGHHHHH!

Yeah, I can probably fix his image, but as long as he refuses to learn what’s going on it feels so pointless…

I have previously won the shouting match by demonstrating that the ratio is a factor of the image width and height and that a changed aspect ratio won’t “stick” unless you save the image.

And that changing the aspect ratio of one image will not change it for all other opened images.

Note that he didn’t “understand” he just couldn’t disprove me.

That was some months ago, now he has forgotten and on the same track again

It’s been years since he first got his first printer and this has been an ongoing debate since then.

It’s driving me BONKERS!!!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Have you tried - a printer prints at 300 dpi , a crt or lcd displays at 72 dpi, and a scanner scans at whatever dpi you tell it - try working from a lxw based on pixels in the image - ie scanned at 300 ppi for 8 x 10 = 2400 x 3000 pixel image and to get it to a certain size at a fixed dpi - well the math is obvious...just an idea.

Comment

PSP 7 is too advanced for him.

Arcsoft PhotoImpression is a very simple program that could serve him well.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by degrub View Post
        Have you tried - a printer prints at 300 dpi , a crt or lcd displays at 72 dpi, and a scanner scans at whatever dpi you tell it - try working from a lxw based on pixels in the image - ie scanned at 300 ppi for 8 x 10 = 2400 x 3000 pixel image and to get it to a certain size at a fixed dpi - well the math is obvious...just an idea.
        Tried that, all I got was a lousy t-shirt

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
        PSP 7 is too advanced for him.

Arcsoft PhotoImpression is a very simple program that could serve him well.

Unfortunately, even if you or I think it's a "easier" program it would to him be a "new, totally different" program.

Anyway, he actually figured out what was causing it.

Seems that all my thousands of "it's not the ratio, it must be something else" finally hit home.

The "Center image on page" option wich is a global setting that PSP do remember was unset.

That caused the printer to cut the image into fitting within the margins.

Now if he had told me "part of the image is missing" instead of "the image prints warped" I'd have figured it out.

It also explains the on and off behavior of this problem....

Since he lives 80 kilometers from me I had never seen any of these "warped" images (saving one to show me when I occasionally wisited didnt seem to be an option).

And ofcourse he was like "See I toldja it was a faulty setting!" totally ignoring what he originally blamed it on.
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
          Now because he refuses to understand the aspect ratio it’s hard for me to “fix” it.
          Try unchecking the "keep aspect ratio" option.

But yeah, it can be difficult... My father seems to understand the aspect ratio problem, but asks me for a solution to
          1. have his photos 4:3 printed (3:2) without loosing information (I managed to explain it to him, but now I have to teach him how to crop, as the labs always crop an equal share from top and bottom - which is not always the best option;
          2. display his photos (still 4:3) on a tv (16:9) without borders left/right and without loosing stuff

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
          X