Comcast is definitely discriminating against internet traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comcast is definitely discriminating against internet traffic

I totally disapprove of this. Say goodbye to the internet as you know it as other ISPs jump on the bandwagon.

"Comcast does not block access to any applications, including BitTorrent," he said.
    Douglas would not specify what the company means by "access" — Comcast subscribers can download BitTorrent files without hindrance. Only uploads of complete files are blocked or delayed by the company, as indicated by AP tests.
    But with "peer-to-peer" technology, users exchange files with each other, and one person's upload is another's download. That means Comcast's blocking of certain uploads has repercussions in the global network of file sharers.
    Comcast's technology kicks in, though not consistently, when one BitTorrent user attempts to share a complete file with another user.
    Each PC gets a message invisible to the user that looks like it comes from the other computer, telling it to stop communicating. But neither message originated from the other computer — it comes from Comcast. If it were a telephone conversation, it would be like the operator breaking into the conversation, telling each talker in the voice of the other: "Sorry, I have to hang up. Good bye."
    http://tinyurl.com/3bw96k
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

My ISP does not rate limit Torrents, it could be a matter of time though.... who knows.

Comment

Comcast jumped the shark long ago IMO; prices and this. Main reasons why we changed IS and TV providers.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Maybe that explains this: http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=2605

75-year-old woman smashes up local Comcast office with hammer

Meet Mona Shaw, 75, of Bristow, Virginia. And if you are wondering, no relation.
        A retired Air Force nurse and secretary of a square-dancing club, Shaw went Com-smash-tic in her local Comcast office one day last month.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I have a small local provider, and can't really complain. I think my firewalls cause the most problems.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Are you serious? Bit Torrent traffic is encrypted now. So what you're telling me is that, selectively, in REAL TIME, Comcast defeats substantial encryption on-the-fly and impersonates their clients' machines, down to machine ID and signature?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And how would they KNOW when it's a complete file being shared, and not just chunks? I mean... I've never had a problem reaching 1:1 or even 10:1 ratio. I think these people reporting this are HIGH ON CRACK.

Now, that said Comcast is definitely NOT net-neutral. Some sites piddle along and others get 10x the speed I'm paying for. So they're definitely not innocent. But I love it when an ISP is accused of tampering with an encrypted protocol.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

On what port does BT send? I think the stuff with the complete files vs. chunks is just rhethoric on Comcast's side.

Both AP and the EFF are reporting: They're sending fake TCP/IP reset signals to uploaders, which causes them to stop the transfer. Apparently, the system is not yet in effect in the whole USA.

Here's a Wiki by the Azureus people about blocking providers and what to do about it if you're affected.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                Are you serious? Bit Torrent traffic is encrypted now. So what you're telling me is that, selectively, in REAL TIME, Comcast defeats substantial encryption on-the-fly and impersonates their clients' machines, down to machine ID and signature?

And how would they KNOW when it's a complete file being shared, and not just chunks? I mean... I've never had a problem reaching 1:1 or even 10:1 ratio. I think these people reporting this are HIGH ON CRACK.

Now, that said Comcast is definitely NOT net-neutral. Some sites piddle along and others get 10x the speed I'm paying for. So they're definitely not innocent. But I love it when an ISP is accused of tampering with an encrypted protocol.
                The BT protocol is not completely encrypted, it's optional!

So most of the traffic is still unenrypted

And most DPS equipment can easily be set throttle encrypted traffic
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Gurm, only BT data is encrypted, not the rest of the packet.

edit: I wanted to clarify on this. When the connection first gets established, only the data portion is encrypted. So Comcast can just deny seeders from seeding even before the traffic starts. This is what they are doing. They are using a product from a compnay called Sandvine. Read here:

Last edited by Helevitia; 20 October 2007, 10:33.
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Here is some more info:

The throttling works like this: A few seconds after you connect to someone in the swarm the Sandvine application sends a peer reset message (RST flag) and the upload immediately stops. Most vulnerable are users in a relatively small swarm where you only have a couple of peers you can upload the file to. Only seeding seems to be prevented, most users are able to upload to others while the download is still going, but once the download is finished, the upload speed drops to 0. Some users also report a significant drop in their download speeds, but this seems to be less widespread. Worse on private trackers, likely that this is because of the smaller swarm size
                    and this...

Although BitTorrent protocol encryption seems to work against most forms of traffic shaping, it doesn’t help in this specific case. Setting up a secure connection through VPN or over SSH seems to be the only solution.
                    Taken from here: http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-thro...ing-impossible

Comment

Well, you're mistaken on this one. Check out the comments on the recent slashdot discussion about this.

First, not all BT traffic is encrypted. Second, encrypted or not, it's very easy to see the traffic pattern. But, probably most important, you don't NEED to decrypt the BT traffic, you just need to spoof the (unencrypted) TCP reset.

And it's taking other things down, too. Check out the Lotus Notes blog where they ran wireshark at both ends, and were able to log the reset packets.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I am not saying ComCast would / does actually do it, but it is possible to defeat encrypted protocols, if you are the "man in the middle". When you are installed at the ISP's network, then, yeah you are just that
                        As a typical Murcer would know when 2 machines want to establish an encrypted session, they exchange keys. in that phase (key Exchange) the man in the middle machine can intercept the keys, and .. well bye bye encryption.
                        A possible way to overcome this is, doing the key exchange in a more secure method, or ....
                        use something like tor .
                        Originally posted by Gurm
                        .. some very fair skinned women just have a nasty brown crack no matter what...

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                          On what port does BT send? I think the stuff with the complete files vs. chunks is just rhethoric on Comcast's side.

Both AP and the EFF are reporting: They're sending fake TCP/IP reset signals to uploaders, which causes them to stop the transfer. Apparently, the system is not yet in effect in the whole USA.

Here's a Wiki by the Azureus people about blocking providers and what to do about it if you're affected.

But how do they know? I'm running on a non-standard port, encrypted. How can they get into my encrypted data stream to send the "reset signal", which is bogus anyway? WTF is a "reset signal" in Bit Torrent? They'd have a heck of a time impersonating the machine on the other end to do handshaking and "thank you I've got it" and then they'd have to repeat the MD5 hash. I mean, it's non-trivial. It's not just "sending a signal that hangs up".
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                            The BT protocol is not completely encrypted, it's optional!

So most of the traffic is still unenrypted

And most DPS equipment can easily be set throttle encrypted traffic

Throttling I believe. Sure, no problem. It's this "we're haxx0ring the STREAMZ!" thing I don't buy.

Comment

Look, I'm not denying that people are seeing what they're seeing. I just don't think it's Comcast policy, and I don't think that it's what they think it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X