PCIe2 - soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCIe2 - soon.

You're going to start seeing more and more info on PCIe2, apparently all HD2400 and 2600 are already v2 (backwards compatible like agp was of course). The X38 chipset is the only one out that supports v2 right now, but we are likely to see more and more in the coming months.

more...
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

MSI just announced their new AMD RD790FX board, which has 41 PCIe 2.0 lanes, CrossFires X (up to four video cards in "SLI") and AM2+ support (Phenom Tri- and Quad-core processor ready).

It is expected to launch next month with the AMD Phenom processors and the ATi fall refresh of the RV670 video card core (55 nm process).

The computer market is going to be flooded in November with new AMD, nvidia and Intel offerings. Can't wait! Now if only I had the cash to buy.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It feels like just yesterday they introduced PCIe in the first place. They are really rushing to get this new tech out, for what I would think is very little real world gain. At least for now.
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

These faster buses etc. will be essential when GPGPU hits hard, whatever brand name it's masked under. I give it less than 2 years as IMO it'll speed up many functions far more then just adding cores.

Basic systems will probably use the GPU on the graphics card, but mid to higher end systems will use CPU's that have GPU's or GPU derived maths modules built into the die.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
          It feels like just yesterday they introduced PCIe in the first place. They are really rushing to get this new tech out, for what I would think is very little real world gain. At least for now.
          Well, it is good that it happens a bit quicker, just think on how long it took for USB to to get off the ground
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post

They are already prepping PCIe 3.0 with 8 GTps (giga transfers) per lanes They expect PCIe 3.0 to be out in 2009/2010.

Another big reason, beyond GPGPUs, is the upcoming ultra high speed solid state HDDs and SANs. The fusion-io, which was recently announced, will have up to 800 MBps per solid state SAN card using NAND flash, and can have up to four cards per server. Once they start using MRAM and PRAM on these type of devices you will need the PCIe 3.0 speeds to handle the data throughput and GPGPU taffic.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
            X