Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows update - October 2007 - 0x800700c1 failure

XP SP2

Anybody here know what the heck that failure code to install is trying to tell me?

Other updates offered installed with no problem - just KB941202 and kb939653 both complaining of the same and as usual I aint getting nothing intelligent off Microsoft or elsewhere
    Lawrence

Problem solved:

Got a suggestion to install them individually (custom install choosing only one at a time) and then reboot between every update session.

2 reboots later and they are in and marked successful.

.................... and yet another machine of mine didnt have a problem with allowing Windows to install both in the same update session ..............
    Lawrence

Comment

Thanks Lawrence, I'll do that jic.
      FT.

Comment

0x800700c1 : That failure code is an invalid page fault: The update cannot find something it was looking for - it could be a file or a registry key. Most of the time it is a registry key.

You may have read about a couple of "silent" updates Microsoft rolled out without their normal disclosure - I can't go into specifics, but I know that they provided those updates to us at work so we could also roll them out (It relates to neutering WGA). I think this could be related to that.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm - the plot thickens

Not sure that this actually has anything to do with my particular problem, but when updates are applied without my consent anything is possible.

Perhaps this is MS' attempt to fix their screwup with their last application of unwanted WGA related updates rendering the user unable to recover a funky Windows install and then apply updates because the dimwits have not properly registered/managed their hidden files.
          Lawrence

Comment

Working...
          X