Strokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strokes

I find this unscientific article quite interesting, having suffered two strokes.

The first one was a TIA, causing paralysis of the right hand, but it took several months before I regained full use of it. I was put on a regimen of 100 mg aspirin, the Dx being an ischemic cause.

The second one occurred about 18 months later, with total paralysis of half the right hand and also the forearm. Slight weakness in the right leg, causing a slight stumbling in the gait. Couldn't raise the hand higher than the shoulder (which is why I stopped shaving!). When it happened, I immediately took 3 300 mg aspirin tablets, knowing my problem was ischemic. This time, I was given the works. Ultrasound showed the carotids in excellent condition and analyses showed the blood was more or less normal. Because of the pacemaker, I couldn't have a MRI scan but a CAT scan revealed nothing, other than calcification of the septum between the hemispheres, which would not explain the problem. The docs were perplexed as to the source of the infarction as all tests appeared normal. In desperation, they gave me an ultrasound scan from inside the stomach and found a small deposit of plaque centred in the apex of the aortic arch. I was put on an increased dose of aspirin (200 mg) and 150 mg of Persantin, since which time (2+ years ago), I have had no further problem. I regained full movement of the arm (but still don't shave!) and leg after a couple of months or so, but still have problems with the hand (loss of grip, difficulty in writing, general loss of dexterity, total inability to sign cheques or credit card vouchers ). As a result, the problem was not classed as a TIA, but simply as a minor stroke, because of permanent sequelae.

The main reason for writing this is the docs suggest that my prompt action of taking 900 mg of aspirin probably contributed to a considerably better reduction of the permanent sequelae. This reinforces the main point of the article that prompt treatment can reduce the effects of a TIA, as well as reduce the risk of a major stroke.

Secondarily, I'm shocked that treatment can take so long that major sequelae can occur. In my two cases, I was under medical control within half an hour, initially by a visit from the local GP.

Warning: Do not self-medicate with aspirin after a stroke unless you are sure it is ischemic in origin. If it is haemorrhagic, the aspirin could kill you or, at least, increase the damage. Minor strokes are most usually ischemic, after the age of 60 with a history of increasing blood pressure which is kept under control. Haemorrhagic strokes occur more often when the blood pressure is not under control, sometimes after severe emotional stress; they are usually more severe in nature, causing more general paralysis of one side, rather than just one member.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)
Working...
X