Asus Xonar D2X (PCIE) with added DS3D GX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Xonar D2X (PCIE) with added DS3D GX

Now this is interesting. Not only did Asus release a PCIE version of their new card, but it has some kind of 3D sound acceleration for games. here is a quote:

The Asustek Xonar family of audio cards utilizes an Asustek exclusive technology – the new DS3D GX extension in the Xonar D2X driver; to provide full support for surround sound and hardware accelerated features by translating DirectX to the DS3D GX, according to the company. Other solutions like OpenAL require special installation and game support, while, DS3D GX does not, pointed out Asustek. Gamers can enjoy DirectX gaming with hardware enhanced surround sound and EAX effects automatically and immediately after installation, it added.
    If this works as advertised, this is great news. Glad I didn't buy either one of the other cards yet. This looks the most promising.

Asustek Computer has introduced the PCI Express interface Xonar D2X and the USB interface Xonar U1 audio devices.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

The U1 looks pretty kool too for us laptop users. I love my Echo Indigo, but its Vista support is lacking. I can only listen in ASIO mode or the audio pops. Meaning if I use it for something simple like YouTube, and then use my mouse, I get audio pops. It's annoying.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Upgraded Xonar, called the Xonar HDAV1.3 [Deluxe]. It's basically the Xonar D2X but upgraded for home theater use by added audio and video out through a HDMI 1.3a and full, native Blu-ray output support for all audio and video codecs. It also sports a hardware video post-processor and is PAPS/AACS compliant, which is both good and bad. Good in that it can be updated to support new blu-ray features, not so good in that it adds that extra annoying layer of copyright protection.

Unfortunately word on the street is that the software is very immature and it's a pain to use. That and so far you can only get the benefits by using the included TotalMedia Theater software, which is reportedly buggy as hell. There is also apparenlty no auto-switching between DTS-HD and DD-HD, so to switch between the formats you have to enter the driver config, change it, and then start TM Theater. A lot of the features, like SPDIF pass-through, apparently are "forthcoming" as well.

So great hardware, poor software You just can't win.

The deluxe edition sports a daughter card with 7.1 analog outputs for sending to a home theater. It als has user replaceable opamps (sitting in chip sockets, no no soldering required) in case you don't like the Burr Browns it comes with.

Maybe when then the software catches up I'll finally replace my venerable Audigy.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Does any current soundard have non-sucky software? Nvm driver hiccups just after launch, they usualy deal with them, and Asus apparently did just that with previous cards...but what about those awfull GUIs?!

I'll probably get some new soundcard at some point (if nothing new shows up - probably Xonar DX), but I will really miss no-nonsense GUI/app of my Aureal Vortex SQ2500...

Comment

I own the D2X and in typical Asus fashion, the software is unintuitive and looks dumb. The drivers are extremely stable though.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

What does it sound like and what do the games really sound like. Reviews say good but what the reviews say and what it actually sounds like can totally different.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Elitebastards have a review of the D2X, and it does look a great card. They also have a review of the HDAV1.3, and it comes out slightly worse than the D2X on soundquality.

I'm looking at the Asus cards for my htpc...

I keep wondering why those card manufacturers keep bothering with their own software... I've yet to see a bundled software that is intuitive...
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It's a great sounding card. I have Sennheiser HD280's connected to it and I love it. I also use Klipsch Promedia 5.1 setup.

Even though the software sucks, I still use it since everything is in one place. Very stable drivers and software.

Comment

Working...
                X