Terror Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror Food

Nowadays everything is because of terrorists (the new and improved bogeyman) so when people smelled something they felt was chemical they called the cops!

Firefighters wearing protective breathing apparatus were called to D'Arblay Street, Soho, after reports of noxious smoke filling the air.

Police closed off three roads and evacuated homes following the alert.
    Burning chilli sparks terror fear
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Well, Nam Prik Pao is enough to terrorise anyone! I was in a market in Bangkok once. I came to a stall selling nothing but chilis of every size, shape and colour imaginable. This was so colourful that I tried to take a photo. My eyes started streaming and my nose was burning, just being a couple of metres away, yet I like hot, spicy food. My favourite is Tom Yum, a very spicy shrimp soup and, on more than one occasion, I've had it so hot that even my Thai hosts have renounced on it as being OTT. One smear of Nam Prik Pao takes the top of your head off. The best (or worst!) Thai chili is a tiny green one, barely 15 mm long.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Reminds me of an indian meal I had a couple of weeks ago. It was a medium hot meat/sauce dish. Lovely, until I bit a pepper (which I think was in there accidentally). I had to decide to spit or swallow and as it was a smart place I made the mistake of swallowing. My head exploded, much to the amusement of my friends, and continued to do so until I could chew an ice cube. Next morning I was in AGONY!
      FT.

Comment

An ice cube does not really help, nor does a drink (especially alcoholic). The best help for the ingestion of an over-hot chili is to take a good mouthful of white rice and chew it well. It absorbs the essential oils, including the capsaicin, which is water-insoluble and therefore stays in the mouth. Even bread will help. For the next time...
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I hope to god there isn't a next time, and my arse agrees!

As it went, I tried some of my lager first as that's all there was, to no effect as I expected. I then asked for the water and chewed some nan while waiting. Having an ice cube under my tongue really did seem to help.

At least it gave my mates a laugh
          FT.

Comment

Sounds yummy

Erik and I just finished a jar of Deaths Head salsa (local brand) rated at 850k Scoville, about 7x hotter than Thai chillies (120k tops).

Point of reference: pepper spray runs 2-5 mil Scoville and Jalapeño's are <8k Scoville.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 October 2007, 04:26.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X