Sony To Launch Ultra-Thin OLED Flat Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony To Launch Ultra-Thin OLED Flat Panels

TOKYO, — Sony Corp. said it will launch an ultra-thin flat TV in December, the world's first television based on organic light-emitting diode (OLED) technology into an $82 billion market dominated by LCD and plasma models.
    This is the big hope... to make up for disappointing PlayStation 3 sales, which have suffered due to the Nintendo Wii.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

nice to see they are finally doing OLED, but an 11" tv is not going to be terribly attractive at $1740, no matter what technology it is, I think
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Samsung has already demo'ed a 21" OLED.

OLED will be big what with contrast ratios of 1 million:1 and sich, but Sony isn't the one with the patents. Those are Kodak, Seiko-Epson and others.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 October 2007, 20:41.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I hope they have reasonable life expentancy before the colour goes off, blue in particular

It would not be nice buying a monitor at premium price and have go funky a year or so later.

Comment

Looking at all the dead LEDs in the "hi-tech" LED traffic lights that have popped up the past two years, anything LED based will have to have a killer warranty for me to bite initially.

LCD has a proven track record. DLP needs standardization of the light source and designs making user replacement possible.

--wally.

Comment

Another interesting article about Sony and OLED.

Jerry Jones
            I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Working...
            X