Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation

Greetings People,

I have finally given up on trying to get my VIA VP3 based motherboard (TMC TI5VG) based motherboard to work with a Millennium G200 and the latest Matrox 5.xx drivers. You name it I've tried it, bios upgrades, latest VIA drivers, complete reformat and and reinstall of Windows 98 / 98SE, ditto with all extraneous hardware removed. Nothing works, always get a windows protection error on startup. Everything is ok with 4.51 drivers, (BUS mastering is enabled, even ICDBeta2 works)

So, what I would like is a recommendation for a new motherboard and processor combo that is reliable with the following hardware. Note I am not in the latest and greatest league, nor am I an overclocker.

Hardware that needs to work

Matrox Millenium MGA G200 / 8MB / AGP
    Sound Blaster Live (I have Liveware V2.0 CD / 2.1 patch)
    HP 8100 CD/RW Drive
    EIDE CD-ROM / UDMA-33 Hard Disk (6.4 GB)
    Orichid Righteous 3D (Voodoo 1)
    UMAX SCSI (joke) Card for Scanner (ISA card)
    98MB of SDRAM (66MHz) in 2 DIMMS

I think I want a board based on an Intel BX chipset, with a Celeron 466 or 500 mounted in a slot 1 adaptor. The board for obvious reasons will need to operate on a 66 MHz frontside BUS and have at least 1 free ISA slot.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Peter

Peter:

I'd recommend the Asus P2B board for you. It has 4 PCI and 3 ISA slots and is based on the BX chipset. Asus makes the most rock-solid stable motherboards money can buy, and if you decide to move up to PC100 RAM and a P3 later on, the board supports up to P3 600. I've been running one for a year or so and I love the thing.

------------------
    The Rock
    Home Machine: P3 450 + 128 Meg PC100 RAM + 23G Storage
    Work Machine: IBM OS/390 + 10Gigs RAM + 1.5 Terabytes Storage (and no damn AGP slot...what a waste)

Bart

Comment

any BX chipsets will be fine... as long as you go with a bran name.. this time

Comment

Hi Peter!

I completely agree with The Rock - go with the ASUS P2B-Series of boards. It will run anything from 66MHz to 150 MHz bus-fq (if you buy the regular P2B). They're some of the most stable boards on the market, at any speed!

You state that you have a SCSI-card (a joke). You could buy the ASUS P2B-S, which has an on-board Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI-adapter. This will run your scanner and be ready for future HDD's, CD-R's and so on...!
        Besides that, the P2B-S has 1 AGP, 4 PCI and 2 ISA-slots. Can run anything from 66-112 MHz bus-fq. You can put up to 1GB RAM into the board. It will run with any Intel CPU you can get (PII, PIII, Celeron), from 233MHz up to the newest 700 MHz!!!

Just be sure to check out this page for the newest revisions (so you're able to run all the latest CPU'). http://www.asuscom.de/de/support/tec...ium_III_CU.htm
        Some retailers will try to sell you older rev. of the boards. Observe that some of the revision-numbers has a "." (Dot) at the end, which is important!

Good luck and feel free to mail me, if you should have any further questions.

Cheers!

------------------
        ASUS P2B-S, PII-350 (o/c to 412MHz), 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1 GB, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB 64AWE, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, Sony CDU-924S CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

[This message has been edited by VIKINGMAN (edited 30 October 1999).]
        ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

Hi Peter,

I think I can help you with what you have already. Your VIA chipset should work fine with the G200. Follow these steps EXACTLY to see if it works:

Download the new G200 drivers PD 5.25, download the 4in1 driver pack from Via, download the uninstall utility from Matrox, run the uninstall utility, reboot, switch to standard Vga adapter and reboot, install the 4in1 driver pack in normal mode reboot and go into your bios and disable "read around write" save settings and exit, boot into windows and run the setup for PD 5.25, reboot and you should be up to speed.

Let me know if this works, it has many times for others as well as me.

Rags

Comment

Thanks everyone, have prepared a list of bits to ask my local computer equipment supplier about on Monday. ASUS P2B is on the list.

And Rags, will try your suggestion (I'm sure I tried that combo), will let you know how it goes. Still going the BX route if only to save my future sanity :-).

Peter

Comment

Rags

Well your method still has no exceptions <g>, I now have a TMC TI5VG / Windows 98 SE fully working with V5.25 drivers. Thanks

But there are definitely issues with the V5.30 drivers (which was what I was trying to get working previously), curiously once the V5.25 drivers were working I thought I'd retry the V5.30 drivers, I got a lot further, Windows started up without errors but any attempt to use a D3D or OpenGL accelarated game resulted in a blue screen of death.

Still I now have a viable system to sell on once I fit my new BX board when it arrives.

Thanks again

Peter

Comment

That's good to hear! Have fun!!

Rags

Comment

Working...
                X