Maturity of video editing software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maturity of video editing software?

How would you rate the maturity of the following types of software? By maturity I mean how far along the in development the category of software is in it's evolution. Of course software will always continue to develop but I think that for a vast percentage of users software evolves to a point where it satisfies their needs. For example office applications like word processor I would consider highly matured. For the most part they comprehensively cover the task of creating, editing, and outputting text documents. So out of a 5 point scale I would give that category a 5. Let's say we're talking about "normal" consumer software that semi-pros would use not the ultra expensive multithousand dollar software.

I am curious as to how some of the members opinions on this differ. It can be viewed as a how happy are you with the current state of affairs?

So for the sake of argument:
    5 = Fully developed with only small non-significant features needed
    4 = Nearly fully developed but there is still room for useful features, GUI improvements. The best of the category is very stable but there is still room for improvement.
    3 = Good but still in a phase of significant development. Features, GUI improvements and improvement in stability need to be addressed.
    2 = Average and needing significant work.
    1 = Poor and barely worth the effort to use it.

My rankings
    Operating Systems - I can only speak to Windows and I give XP a 4
    Non-linear editors - 4
    DVD Authoring -3 (mainly based on stability and format compatibility issues)
    Office Applications (Word processing, spreadsheets, database) - 5
    Photo editing - 5
    Vector drawing - 5
    3-D Animation - 3
    Audio Editing - 5
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home
Working...
X