PDA

View Full Version : Help Fund Zokes' Laptop Upgrade!

ZokesPro
18th September 2007, 07:17
I was looking at the possible upgrades I could get for my laptop, trying to max it out and this is what I've come up with, of course, the upgrades price goes well beyond what I paid for the system itself! D'oh! :o

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 GHz 4MB Cache 699.00$CND (could sell my T2600 for around 350-450$)
RAM: 2x Corsair PC2-5300 2GB 1X2GB DDR2-667 200PIN SODIMM Memory 134.63$CND each (total 269.26$) (old ram 2x 512mb probably 40$ for both)
HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 200GB 2.5IN 7200RPM SATA 16MB 252.50$ (old 80gb 50-60$)
700 cpu + 270 ram +250 hdd = 1320$

My current CPU is the top performer as far as Core Duo's are concerned but it's 32bit. It's slightly behind the 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo but only by a few %, which is why I chose the 2.33GHz cause otherwise it's not worth it, plus I want a 64bit CPU so that I can install 4GB of RAM in Vista.

As for the RAM, I might as well go all out and max it to 4GB. (they say on Asus that my system only goes to 2GB total but that's BS, it can go higher but seeing as they install a 32bit CPU, they don't want people buying 4GB of RAM) Plus Vista is a hog for resources and I'd have a decent system that would perform well for quite some time still.

The HDD needs to be a 7200RPM drive. 5400RPM just doesn't cut it. Actually it does but 7200RPM would be so much better, plus at 200GB, I'd have no worries.

So that's 3 parts, but my laptop would be maxed out! (not quite, but performance wise, it would cause I could still get a 250gd hdd but they don't make them at 7200rpm which is why I chose the 200gb) :cool: Plus I could probably squeeze out a few extra FPS too. Would it be worth it? Upgrading the RAM to 2gb maybe (4gb may not be worth it unless I went with the Core 2 and had Vista installed otherwise it wouldn't, check my profile for system specs), but not so much the cpu and hdd. For desktops it's much less expensive and I was looking at Dell's site and I could literally build a new laptop that's slightly faster than my current laptop for a few hundred less than the total upgrade price! Crazy. So all in all, laptops are expensive, when you buy alaptop, make sure it's THE ONE cause upgrading isn't worth it.

Wulfman
18th September 2007, 07:26
As for the RAM, I might as well go all out and max it to 4GB. (they say on Asus that my system only goes to 2GB total but that's BS, it can go higher but seeing as they install a 32bit CPU, they don't want people buying 4GB of RAM)
some thinkpads only support 3gb ram, even with a 64bit-system. not sure why.

I wouldn't go for it. the hdd - ok, if you need the space, ram - well, 2 or 3gb should be sufficient atm.

but the cpu: I wouldn't invest that much money into - what, 20% more performance, if at all? especially if the laptop wasn't designed for it: more noise, less battery life, etc. and for games you are probably limited by the gpu anyway.

mfg
wulfman

ZokesPro
18th September 2007, 07:53
I see, well then it'll most likely be 2Gb then but I do want 2GB of RAM (eventually), which will cost me 91$CND (pretty good price imo), but as for the rest, I don't want to spend my own money upgrading as I don't really see the point (as you already mentioned), but if there are very generous MURCers out there willing to help me out then I'll do the rest. :p

Either way, it's just what I can potentially upgrade to. for now, even with 1Gb RAM and all the rest, I'm satisfied and don't often use 100% resources.

GuchiGuh
19th September 2007, 19:37
so, where do I donate to?
*holds spanking new amex card in his hot little hands*

:D

Am I gona get anything out of this????

ZokesPro
20th September 2007, 05:56
so, where do I donate to?
*holds spanking new amex card in his hot little hands*

:D

Am I gona get anything out of this????

Sweet! You gonna get me more ram, new cpu, a 7200rom hdd?

For every purchase, I'm giving out a free 4GB USB key! ;)

Dilitante1
20th September 2007, 15:39
/me pledges the Canadian pennies in the car change stash :D

ZokesPro
21st September 2007, 06:05
/me pledges the Canadian pennies in the car change stash :D

If every american sent me their chump change, I'd be rich!!

ZokesPro
25th September 2007, 17:46
I see, well then it'll most likely be 2Gb then but I do want 2GB of RAM (eventually), which will cost me 91$CND (pretty good price imo), but as for the rest, I don't want to spend my own money upgrading as I don't really see the point (as you already mentioned), but if there are very generous MURCers out there willing to help me out then I'll do the rest. :p

Either way, it's just what I can potentially upgrade to. for now, even with 1Gb RAM and all the rest, I'm satisfied and don't often use 100% resources.

Holy crap, just bought 2GB of ram for 79.49$ and that's shipping and taxes included! Woohoo!!!

Happy dance! :)