No announcement yet.

freezing a dodgy hard drive does work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freezing a dodgy hard drive does work!

I had a friends drive that was seizing up. It wouldn't stay up long enough to even change the file permissions before copying could start.

So I left it in an airtight bag in the freezer over the weekend, and hooked it up this morning in a plastic bag and a wine-cooling jacket. Not only have I had time to take ownership and copy all the data, it is still running 30 minutes later!

If it didn't come from a household with kids (a.k.a. spyware/virus magnets) I think I'd be tempted to ghost the drive to its replacement.
    FT.

Hehe, if he was in Canada, take his hard drive outside and it would work for half the year!
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

LOL. I suspect the new hdd is cheaper than the airfare
      Last edited by Fat Tone; 17 September 2007, 08:50. Reason: typo
      FT.

Comment

Used the trick for a few years now. The race to get the data before it goes tits up is always fun.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
          I had a friends drive that was seizing up. It wouldn't stay up long enough to even change the file permissions before copying could start.

So I left it in an airtight bag in the freezer over the weekend, and hooked it up this morning in a plastic bag and a wine-cooling jacket. Not only have I had time to take ownership and copy all the data, it is still running 30 minutes later!

If it didn't come from a household with kids (a.k.a. spyware/virus magnets) I think I'd be tempted to ghost the drive to its replacement.

hm...I have some drives at work I could test that on

Tho I'd throw in a few of those silica gel bags in with it in the plastic bag after taking it out of the freezer
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Hmmm...I might try this with one or two drives when I'll have sapce to quickly transfer data...

BTW, "freezing" here means "below 0 C (usually around -18 I think)" or just typical "few degrees above 0"?

Comment

@technoid - good idea with the dessicant bags. I did do my best to prevent condensation but you can't be too careful.

@Nowhere, -18C in my freezer. Probably below the operating spec but you can't deny the results.

I suppose an alternative might be to keep the drive in the freezer and put the PC right next to it (for the duration of the recovery).
              FT.

Comment

dry ice and a cooler?
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

i live near the equator, i usually wrap some old newspapers and put it in a zip lock bag and leave it in the freezer (around 0 degrees C), they normally last 30 mins or before you get to hear the loud clicking sounds
                  Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                  ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Timely post FT

I didn't know about this trick.
                    Giving it a try on Becky's HD even as we speak.
                    It went out this evening.
                    Pray for us.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Good luck Chuck

And don't forget to guard against condensation as well as you can when it comes out the freezer! I think I was pretty lucky. Fingers crossed.
                      FT.

Comment

Is there a such thing as too cold?
                        I've tried the drive on 2 PCs and it isn't even recognized.
                        Though it wasn't in the frezer but about 4 hours.

I was thinking about making a dry-ice sandwich out of the thing.
                        Would putting it on a 40 pin cable help?

It's out of warranty so I'm ordering a pair of drives and will mirror them.

PS The sound you hear is the barn door closing after the horses have escaped.
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Mine was mechanical failure - bearings overheat and seize. If yours was electronic failure then I don't think any amount of cooling will presuade the magic smoke to return

I had a close escape myself yesterday. the D: partition on a drive started to pretend it wasn't formatted, and it contained the only up to date copies of three experiments and data from an entire afternoon's testing. Fortunately I persuaded it to come back and the horse is back in the barn
                          FT.

Comment

Well, it does click.
                            In fact it clicks for a few minutes before it gives up.

I'll experiment around.
                            Heck, I couldn't make it anymore brick-like than it is right now.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
                              Used the trick for a few years now. The race to get the data before it goes tits up is always fun.
                              ^Ditto.

Well put.

How long do you guys typically freeze for? I just do a couple of hours.

As for the wine cooler thing...how did you prevent condensation?

Comment

Working...
                              X