Secure dissemination of information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secure dissemination of information?

Say you've got a Word document, the content of which you wish to share with a bunch of people in a company, but you can't risk them copying the text and redistributing it... Short of standing over them with an axe while they read a printed copy how would you do it?
    FT.

Will this help:
    Restrict permission to confidential information in Office files
    This article explains how you can restrict permission to content in documents, workbooks, and presentations by using Information Rights Management (IRM), which is available in the 2007 Microsoft Office system. For information on how you can restrict permission to content in e-mail messages, see Restrict permission to confidential information in e-mail messages.

For information on how to set a password to open or modify a file, see Set a password to open or modify a document, workbook, or presentation. There are other articles that describe using passwords to protect formatting in documents and protect worksheet or workbook elements.

In this article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of IRM and its limitations

Configure your computer to use IRM

Download permissions

Restrict permission to content in files

Use a different Windows user account to rights-manage files

View content with restricted permission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of IRM and its limitations
    Information Rights Management (IRM) allows individuals and administrators to specify access permissions to documents, workbooks, and presentations. This helps prevent sensitive information from being printed, forwarded, or copied by unauthorized people. After permission for a file has been restricted by using IRM, the access and usage restrictions are enforced no matter where the information is, because the permission to a file is stored in the document file itself.

IRM helps individuals enforce their personal preferences concerning the transmission of personal or private information. IRM also helps organizations enforce corporate policy governing the control and dissemination of confidential or proprietary information.

IRM helps to do the following:
    Prevent an authorized recipient of restricted content from forwarding, copying, modifying, printing, faxing, or pasting the content for unauthorized use
    Prevent restricted content from being copied by using the Print Screen feature in Microsoft Windows
    Restrict content wherever it is sent
    Support file expiration so that content in documents can no longer be viewed after a specified period of time
    Enforce corporate policies that govern the use and dissemination of content within the company
    IRM can't prevent the following:
    Content from being erased, stolen, or captured and transmitted by malicious programs such as Trojan horses, keystroke loggers, and certain types of spyware
    Content from being lost or corrupted because of the actions of computer viruses
    Restricted content from being hand-copied or retyped from a display on a recipient's screen
    A recipient from taking a digital photograph of the restricted content displayed on a screen
    Restricted content from being copied by using third-party screen-capture programs
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

PDF probably has options for this. There are no-print options and I think there is also the option of not allowing text to be selected. Of course, this is all hackable, and as a last resort, people could just do screenshots or retype the stuff.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Read it to them. Your the only one with a copy or let them read your copy and take it back. Hard copy of course, otherwise, it's like az said, it's always hackable.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

No print/No select is worthless. All they have to do is hit PRTSCN to copy the screen into the clipboard as a graphic, piecemeal if necessary, then put it together in a graphics tool.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            No print/No select is worthless. All they have to do is hit PRTSCN to copy the screen into the clipboard as a graphic, piecemeal if necessary, then put it together in a graphics tool.
            If you read what I posted, you will see this is not possible with IRM

Prevent an authorized recipient of restricted content from forwarding, copying, modifying, printing, faxing, or pasting the content for unauthorized use
            Prevent restricted content from being copied by using the Print Screen feature in Microsoft Windows
            Restrict content wherever it is sent
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

And if you have a screen capture tool with programmable hot keys, making prediction impossible? I've found very few "protected" contents that really are if they are displayed to the screen.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

there is now way to prevent someone (who is not supervised) from making copies if they really want to. one example: take pictures with a cell phone or other small camera...

edit: there is NO way (duh!)
                Last edited by NetSnake; 11 September 2007, 12:04.

Comment

this thread reminds me of "inspector gadget" cartoon

Comment

I agree that there is probably the only choice of having a single, hardcopy of the document.
                    It must never leave your eyesight though, either.
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Again I agree with everyone that giving people a document but not wanting them to be able to do what they want with is a losing battle at best.

However, your first best option is an uneditable pdf. If you don't have acrobat there are tons of pdf tools out there for free such as cutepdf.

If you have to have it as a word document. I'd recommend converting the text into an image file (multi-page tiff's are the best best if it's a long document). and then having those inside the word document.

Either way there is nothing stopping them from putting either document through an OCR program. Or just giving someone else the file.
                      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

How about

Invisible ink cartridge Sweet

Comment

PDFs are very useful as long as you aren't interested in "features".

There are lots of these: http://www.verypdf.com/pwdremover/pdf-cracker.htm
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Ring a legal firm. Get them to do the leg work. And sign a NDA.
                            Last edited by Fluff; 11 September 2007, 13:07.

Comment

We do it all the time; check out what with Citrix Clients can do.

We run this sort of security at some high-level meetings;

1) Permissions and User rights are setup to where even admins cannot see the contents of the document.

2) You control access to the room, and only allow people to use a Thin Client running Citrix to view it during the duration of the meeting.

3) The layout of the meeting prevents anyone from taking a cell-phone camera shot. (Security actually puts everyone past a CCD lense aperture detector, discreetly,)
                              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                              X