Creative SB Live gets REALLY hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative SB Live gets REALLY hot

I was going to put this in the Hardware forum since may people seem to be having probs with this card and the G400.
    But this is purely Creative related and belongs here and I would doubt this is a resolve for many of those problems.
    When I play games (even at say 75F/23C ambient temp) the SB Live card get extremely hot, as hot as a V2 gets. If you are aware how hot the V2 chips get then you will understand what I am saying.
    If not leave you case open, start a game using the V2.
    After a couple of minutes, touch the V2 chips. Surprised? I'll bet you can't keep your finger on the chip for more than 10 sec....unless you are thick skinned or have chubby fingers and can't reach the texel fx or pixel fx chips. The same applies to the main sound chip near the PCI slot on the SBLive.
    Whereas if my G400 were any cooler during gaming, it would be snap frozen..... or called Frank .....ahem.
    Obviously if Creative thought this was an issue with stability they would have incorporated a heatsink design on the main chip.
    I just wanted to point this out to those unaware of the heat generated by the SB Live in hope that this might benefit someone considering efficient cooling to reduce heat related instability.
    I have a 5" fan blowing on my V2SLI/SBLive/G400 cards. I write this straight after a system freeze during a game, having forgotten to switch that fan on (usually switch it on for gaming).
    Apon restart I descided to post this while it was fresh in my mind and wonder how many people out there may have probs simply due to heat buildup.
    I have my system bus at 100Mhz so the heat generated is not a result of overclocking.
    Hope this helps.

Damn. I have ordered a Live! Platinum (to replace an AWE64 Value). I really don't need more heat inside the case..

------------------
    Pentium® II 300 MHz, Intel® AL440LX, 128 MB SDRAM, Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead, Toshiba SD-M1212, Seagate Medalist 6,5 GB, etc.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I have never heard of SB Live!'s getting to hot. I'll test the heat on my SB Live! tonight after I do my stadard all night EQ stint.

Jammrock

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 25 October 1999).]
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Lucid, I am sorry if I have alarmed you.
        Rest assure there is no need to worry about such a great performing sound card, least cpu utilization of all 4 speaker sound cards currently. Once you hear 4 speaker sound in action (generally in games) you will overlook anything I have said.
        If you are not having any problems with the card in your system then simply disregard what I have said.
        I have commented on the heat issue to the minority that seem to be having problems getting the G400 and the SB Live to play nice.
        Jammrock, nowhere have I said that the card gets 'too hot'. I am no qualified professional to imply such an absolute remark.
        However, my personal experience with this card has been 'yes it gets extremely hot', 'surprisingly hot' to the touch. That's a lot of sound acceleration!
        But hey, the V3 3000 heatsink apparently hits 140 degF. One can cook steak at 160 degF!

Comment

Hey well I got a G400max,sblive platinum combo. I LOVE my sound blaster live Platinum it kicks ASS. As for the heat what heat??? just a little warm after playing abour 2 hours straight Rogue Spear with all the sound and video settings on high . The only heat probalems I have ever had is with my old AGP vid card. It was a STB 128zxv that thing got so hot you coulden't touch it. And I am sure that if you don't have a good maching that circulates well you shoulden't have any good componets oe else you are risking spending money on fixing or replacing stuff.

------------------
          //////|\\\\\\
          ]|[ PAPPY ]|[
          \\\\\\|//////
          rampoaks@bellsouth.net

Comment

I wonder if a heat sink/fan like a lasagna would be a stabilizing influence on the SB Live. I think I'll put one on mine.

I would like to see one of the guys with SBLive/G400 problems do that also. Hot chips are bad chips.

MHO

Comment

Alarmed? Naah.. Just a bit worried that I may need to look into some custom cooling solutions..
              Currently my machine is cramped into a corner where there's little free airflow.. But that's going to change soon anyways, so there may be no problem.

------------------
              Pentium® II 300 MHz, Intel® AL440LX, 128 MB SDRAM, Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead, Toshiba SD-M1212, Seagate Medalist 6,5 GB, etc.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

hi !

No extreme heat with my SB Live (value), ewerything runs normal..

------------------
                PIII450@465,P2b,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live !(value)...
                PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

Not much heat on my SB Live either.. even after hours of intense photoshop activity.

Comment

Frank, check your power supply voltages with a real voltmeter. They could be high
                    abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                    g400 max-
                    256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                    dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                    Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

I would Paul, except this condition has not changed since my previous BX6v2 or BH6 or 250W power supply. Currently have 300W PS. Bios voltage settings show ok.
                      Bear in mind that the SB Live only gets hot during gaming.
                      Every system has its perculiarity, I guess. Others have reported their G400 getting hot while mine keeps its cool. Much relief after the TNT's hot coal aspect.

Comment

The hottest heatsink i have encountered is the one atatched to the voodoo3 2000 bulk that i have put in a couple of systems (crap board but cheap :-)
                        I put the card in fired (almost literly as i found out) up the system and was about to close the box when i felt something HOT!
                        The heatsink radiated heat like a torch!
                        As it hadent even reached windows i got interested and put a thermomether in it!
                        50 Degre Celcius!
                        I started Tirtanium and the heat raise beyond the 60 degre max of the thermometer!
                        I know now why Voodoo3 owners eat so much hotdogs ! :-)

------------------
                        INTEL PIII450 MSI 6163
                        G200Mill 16MB SDRAM
                        SBlive
                        128 MB RAM
                        19GB HDD Space!

[This message has been edited by Technoid (edited 29 October 1999).]
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                        X