Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woohoo !!! Internet Speed upgrade - FREE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woohoo !!! Internet Speed upgrade - FREE!!!

Well, its free for me at least.

I had an email from one of my ISP's ( I have 2 phone lines).
    "Your Internet area is being 'unlimited' and you will soon get a much better bandwidth.
    When you experience a bad connection, unplug and replug the modem, and it will be done."

That happened today while I was in Paris, and whoop de doo!

Before I had a 512kbps/128kbps line, dynamic IP.
    Now I have a 2Mbps+/512kbps line, fixed IP.
    No extra contract, no extra money.
    Just "hey, here's more bandwidth..."

The company is even called "Free.fr".

My other phone line is France Telecom Internet (Orange), and is still 512/128, and I had to pay extra for a fixed IP. If I want a faster line, now its available, I have to pay more.
    Will be cancelling this asap...

I am sooooooo happy they gave up on Cable Network distribution in France and went straight to ADSL and now ADSL2+, and even 100Mbit fibre lines in the center of Paris.

edit: Actually, this should probably be in 'The Lounge'....a network connection isn't really hardware or software. (its both )
    Last edited by Evildead666; 7 September 2007, 12:20.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

I got a free upgrade from my ISP recently, went from 10Mbps to 20Mbps
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

any questions?

...not paying anything and actually top speeds are higher (7 MiB/s isn't uncommon...)

Weirdest thing: I think I'm moving soon to a place where probably I won't have any net acces...

Comment

I've been at 512kbps for 5 years or so, i'm right at the end of the line...

Just did the speedtest, and this is what I got ( not as fast as I thought...):
        Attached Files
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

But its noticeably faster that the 512/128, oh god yes

Comment

Not that impressive but adequate.

Comment

Just got a notice from AT&T that we'll soon be getting U-Verse (FiberOptic to the Premises) + MPEG-4 TV etc. Time to review our options.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

My results

Comment

Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Usually closer to Elies d/l, but not tonight
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

OK,

I see people have variable Bandwidth, probably due to Cable Internet.

As a precision, I'm on ADSL, and I pay for 'Up to 24Mbps/1Mbps'.
                      I always get the same bandwidth, unless the line quality gets better, or I get closer.

And NO up/down bandwidth caps.

for 30Euros a month.

Even my France Telecom line, had a bandwidth indicator that went into the red at 5Gb/month. I was at 12Gb when I checked last, about 3 years ago...never had any emails/calls or anything from them complaining.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Evildead666; 10 September 2007, 11:22.

Comment

At work my internet connection is as fast as sasq's.

(actually it's as fast as the onboard nic)

At home, 7.1mbit down .82 mbit up. That hasn't changed.
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I don't actually feel too bad, except for Nowhere, who has the Internet connection from Hell itself...

edit: And Taz, of course...what you on Cable or ADSL ? I didn't think England was very ADSL yet...?
                          Last edited by Evildead666; 10 September 2007, 11:29.

Comment

Work is fun

Home is about the same as Doc's, a little slower up.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X