Virgin Galactic's "Spaceport America" design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Galactic's "Spaceport America" design

They break ground in New Mexico in early 2008 with partial funding ($31m) by the New Mexico Space Authority, a new State agency. They plan on several spaceports around the world with 50+ SS2's being built.

Word is if this works out an even larger spacecraft providing worldwide point-to-point hypersonic suborbital passenger service is next.

Yes kiddies, NewSpace is really happening.

Business Week article....

One Giant Leap for Space Tourism

Foster and Partners unveils plans for the world's first tourist spaceport, home to Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic fleet

As NASA prepares to retire the space shuttle by the end of the decade, just in time for completion of the International Space Station, the tourism industry is planning to take its own giant leap into the void. Conceptual plans for the world's first tourist spaceport, designed by Foster + Partners, were unveiled today.

Known as Spaceport America, the terminal and hangar facility in Upham, New Mexico, will be home to Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic enterprise. It will operate a fleet of two transport airplanes and five spaceships designed by Burt Rutan. To ferry tourists into space and back, a transport plane, called a White Knight, carries a spaceship to an altitude of 49,000 feet, at which point the spacecraft launch into suborbital space and reach a height of 84 miles before returning to Earth. A roundtrip journey lasts 2.5 hours. Virgin expects to begin regular flights as early as 2009 and is currently accepting deposits on $200,000 "space tickets."

The design for Spaceport America includes a hangar for the White Knights and the spaceships, pre- and post-flight training facilities, mission control, viewing galleries, and passenger lounges. Foster designed the low-slung, 100,000-square-foot structure to be viewed from the ground and from above; it is capped by a rolling, concrete roof whose shape resembles a manta ray. The terminal hall features 50-foot ceilings and large windows facing the main runway at Spaceport's eastern edge.

"It is an extraordinary location with the views of the mountains and the rolling plains," says Grant Brooker, executive director and architect in charge of the project at Foster. "We became very concerned about how the building would be seen in this setting. The building is grown up out of the ground to make it a more organic part of the landscape."

Spaceport's design addresses more earthly concerns, too. Sustainable features include electricity-generating photovoltaic panels and a system to store and reuse water. URS Corp., known for its work on the Denver International Airport and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Marshall Space Flight Center, is working with Foster on the project.

The New Mexico Space Authority, a state agency created to develop commercial space travel, will provide funding for the $31 million project. It expects to put the facility out for construction bids in the first half of 2008 and to break ground that same year.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 September 2007, 15:09.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Hurray! Time to start saving my pennies so I can go to space in 10-20 years from now.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Most people think those tickets will get cheaper pretty quick once Benson Aerospace and others start flying.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X