Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy a live website to localhost but with diff SQL Server/VS versions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy a live website to localhost but with diff SQL Server/VS versions?

So I've got this remote server running Win2k3 server, SQL Server 2000 Workgroup Edition and asp/.net 1.1. I think it was developed on Visual Studio .net 2003.

At home I've got XP (so IIS5.1 rather than 6.0) and Visual Studio 2005 (which includes SQL Server 2005). I could get server2k3 amd VS.net2003 for this if really needed, but can I set up this site locally for development? If so what's the best approach? When I open the solution or project files VS 'upgrades' them, so can I copy things back to the server safely? Can I make SQL server 2005 behave the same as 2000 WE?

TIA.

T.
    FT.

Lets put this a different way.

Can I copy a live site developed with VS.Net 2003 and run it locally on XP using VS 2005 (comes with SQL Server 2005), and then be able to upload changes without breaking it? If so are there any catch-outs that I need to know?

TIA.
    FT.

Comment

<rambling>

Isn't VS2005 a .net 2.0 IDE?

Do you have .Net 2 on your w2k3 machine?

Are you using any features of SQL Server 2000 that aren't in SQL Express (such as Full Text Searching)?

.Net 2 apps work perfectly happily with SQL Server 2000.

You could always create a test site eg test.mydomain.com and point the database connection strings to a copy of your SQL Server 2000 database

or install MSDE on your XP machine and import the data there for testing

</rambling>

Comment

Fattone, I'm sure schmosef can answer your question maybe you can pm him. And I got a feeling there are catch-outs.
        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Hey Barry my old friend, long time no speak! How you doing? Ta for the Ramblings

I did consider pm'ing Schmo but we haven't seen him around for a while...maybe I'll give him a nudge.
          FT.

Comment

just saw this thread. you still need help here FT?

PM me if you do.
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Hey Schmosef!

Thanks. I've moved on from there by avoiding the problem, but pm is coming your way anyway.

Cheers,

T.
              FT.

Comment

Working...
              X