Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmmm...latest revision of my Asus manual don't match my board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm...latest revision of my Asus manual don't match my board.

Now this is weird. Downloaded the latest manual revision for my Asus P2B mobo a few days ago. Printed some pages off and noticed I have way more FSB settings due to latest BIOS. WooHoo I say to myself. Then I look closely at the new FSB settings and I notice something queer; according to the new manual, there's 4 jumpers to control FSB speed (FS0, FS1, FS2, FS3). Now on my actual mobo, there's only 3 (FS0, FS1, FS2). Anyone else with a P2B notice this? I was gonna bump my new P3 450 up to 558, but I can't do that without this jumper that doesn't seem to exist. Any ideas?

------------------
    The Rock
    Home Machine: P3 450 + 128 Meg PC100 RAM + 23G Storage
    Work Machine: IBM OS/390 + 10Gigs RAM + 1.5 Terabytes Storage (and no damn AGP slot...what a waste)

Bart

Yep. Asus LOVES to change revisions of their boards.
    I have a P2B-LS in a server I'm building, and it seems its onboard NIC is hosed and refuses to work. Fine, i'll just disable. Unfortunately, my board is rev 1.02, and they only added a LAN disable jumper after rev 1.05. Damn :/

------------------
    P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor

P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

Comment

Echo Fox:

Yeah, but this isn't a new board revision. Just a manual revision. I've triple checked Asus's web site and this manual is *supposed* to be for my board, the plain ole P2B with no revision numbers. I guess crankin this P3 450 up to 558 aint gonna happen.

------------------
      The Rock
      Work Machine: IBM OS/390 + 10Gigs RAM + 1.5 Terabytes Storage (and no damn AGP slot...what a waste)

Bart

Comment

TR, have you seen the latest BIOS upgrade? If you install it it says it's not compatible with the P2B... how's that for a mishap?

Jorden.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Latest bios I have is 1010; you mean they screwed up a new one? Cheers Asus! Have another beer; best not to drink and design bios updates I guess.

The Rock
          Bart

Comment

The 1011 beta5 misses a 0 in its install name, thus it says it's not compatible, but it works all the same

Jorden.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

The Rock,

Basically you're in the same situation as I am. I bought a P2B when they first came out in the US (rev. 1.02), which seems so long ago. 3 FSB jumpers. After awhile (6 months maybe?), if I recall correctly, Asus did start shipping vanilla P2B's with 4 FSB jumpers. I don't recall at what rev. they started this, but they're still called P2B's. I am using BIOS 1010 with no problems.

I even tried using the 'unlisted' FSB jumper settings to get above 112 MHz. 6 described, up to 112 MHz, but 8 possible (2 X 2 X 2).
              No luck. I do have PC133 SDRAM.

I'd really like to get my PIII 450 to 558 too, without buying another motherboard. I'd hate to ditch my very reliable P2B.

John

Comment

Johnny Ray:

I hear THAT. This board is so damn solid, and I don't wanna shell out $200 for a P3B-F. My machine hasn't crashed in 6 months (until I tried overclocking my P2 350 anyways). Unfortunatley, I can't see any other way to set the FSB at 124mhz and have the PCI bus run at 31mhz. I'm staying at 450 I guess.

------------------
                The Rock

Bart

Comment

Yup. I've got a rev 1.02 P2B as well. Depending on the one of the chips on the board (hey I'm a biologist) you may be able to get intermediate FSB's using SoftFSB. It's done by a Japanease guy and seems to work well - although not with my board . Sorry can't remember the url.

Cheers

Comment

<a href="http://www.h-oda.com" target=_new">SoftFSB home</a>.

_
                    B

Comment

Working...
                    X