Do short PCI-e video cards exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do short PCI-e video cards exist?

One of my buddies got a Lenovo desktop that is very thin, one of those small sized desktops for work.
    it only came with one video out and wants to add another video card, we tried an old ATI PCI card but the card and the bracket are too high.

Do cards exist that are half the height of a regular card?

Thanks,
    Elie

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...le+video+cards

http://www.directron.com/lowprofile.html

cc

Comment

Thanks... I didn't know they were called "Low Profile"

Comment

and here I thought you were talking about one lane pci-E cards
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
          and here I thought you were talking about one lane pci-E cards
          I though he meant something like this with "short":

(though ofcourse this isn't a videocard)
          Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Not all low profile cards come with a low profile bracket though
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I know that some lenovo/ibm desktop boxs you have the option of adding a second digital output.
              Its done by adding a special pci card from ibm/lenovo that simply has a dvi transmitter chip, but actually uses the built in onboard video card.

I have one sitting my desk draw, as I use a nvidia quadro for my other displays

Comment

These are, IIRC, known as ADD cards, and they of course don't work in all boards.
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
                  Not all low profile cards come with a low profile bracket though

I know we had to buy a seperate bracket for the Nvidia low profile card that cost $12 sheesh!

Comment

It seems really stupid to go to the trouble of producing a low profile card and not to include the bracket, it's not like it's going to add lots to the price
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                    X