Fireworks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireworks!!

Severe GREEN thunderstorm here, but short duration; basically one helluva squall line. Sheeting rain, winds and weather is reporting 200 lightning strikes/hour

What a show!!

Tornado warnings (have been sighted) in the county north of us.

Going to get the cameras
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 August 2007, 15:58.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Make sure to post the pics. You remind me of an old Kansas joke. You can always tell who is from Kansas and who isn't when a tornado comes. Out-of-staters will hide in the basement, while a real Kansan goes outside to look around.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Fierworks here also... ~9 hours ago: very fast & bright (low on the horizon, on the background of sunset) meteor (term used here would be "bolid" - it wasn't only a line, also fireball)

Comment

Whew....that was fun

Neighbor down the street lost a tree; pulled out by the roots. That and a few shingles here and there and a few F1/F2 tornadoes N/W of us.

Also; weather reports are that for ~10 minutes the lightning rate was over 1,000/MINUTE

I can believe it because the sky looked like a 110v disco strobe running on 240v.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          Severe GREEN thunderstorm here, but short duration; basically one helluva squall line. Sheeting rain, winds and weather is reporting 200 lightning strikes/hour

Per hour not much then just a shower.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
            Per hour not much then just a shower.
            Read the update: 1,000/min.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It’s kind of what we had. The rumble after the lightening was so intense and it did continue without a break, if was sure tornado was coming.

I did send every one to the basement and kept myself on the lookout for it.

Anyway, something I just noticed this morning when leaving for work. I already knew that the tree across the street from us lost a couple of huge branches.
              What I didn’t know is……………. the tree in front of our house almost fell down too under the wind. It was leaning a good 15~20 Deg off the vertical and the only thing that kept it standing was a concrete sidewalk.

The sidewalk got lifted up 10~12 inches but didn’t let it go. The main root under it is spilt all the way, but lengthwise. If it split across the root, that would be the end of it.
              That tree was over 40 years old and the trunk was 3.5~4 feet in diameter. Healthy too.

What I was impressed with, 5 hours later when I returned from work, the tree cutting crew was pulling out and the tree is chopped down. Not bad considering all the broken trees and branches they had to deal with.

Even today evening, every third or fourth stop light is not working at all, regardless if you drive in Chicago or the suburbs…… .

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Yeah, lots of crazy weather across the midwest to southeast.
                I was flying home yesterday from Portland OR, and our plane got diverted when it was 30 min outside Atlanta since the airport closed for a couple hours due to lightning and severe wind sheer on the field. Pretty interesting having the pilot vector the plane around lightning cells when we finally got going back to Atlanta a couple hours later.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                  Going to get the cameras
                  Where are the pictures?
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Soon. Margie has me running to craft stores this weekend

Mebbe tonight.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Good to see everyone else is sharing the crazy weather fun like we had with the inland tropical storm last weekend. Not much lightning, but lots of flood inducing rain and destructive winds.

Fun times to be had by all.
                      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 August 2007, 02:18.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                        X