Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DARPA bionic hand/arm to FDA trials in '09?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DARPA bionic hand/arm to FDA trials in '09?

Link....

More than 130 veterans of the Iraq war now face the daunting challenge of learning to live with a missing arm. To make that transition easier, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or Darpa, has launched a $55-million project that pools the efforts of prosthetics experts nationwide to create a thought-controlled bionic arm that duplicates the functions of a natural limb. If all goes well, by 2009 the agency will petition the Food and Drug Administration to put the arm through clinical trials.

This summer the team hit a critical milestone when it finished Proto 2, a thought-controlled mechanical arm—complete with hand and articulated fingers—that can perform 25 joint motions. This dexterity approaches that of a native arm, which can make 30 motions, and trumps the previously most agile bionic arm, the Proto 1, which could bend at the elbow, rotate its wrist and shoulder, and open and close its fingers. A person wearing a Proto 2 could conceivably play the piano.

The next steps are to shrink the battery, develop more-efficient motors, and refine the bulky electrodes used to read electrical signals in muscles. As for making actual music, the wearer is on his own.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 August 2007, 21:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Cool. Next they need to make it implantable.

Kevin

Comment

They're working on that too, along with a direct brain-machine interface (BMI).

Work done in Pittsburgh involved a BMI implanted in a monkey and attached to a cybernetic arm/hand like Proto 1. The monkey's natural arm was restrained, but the critter was able to feed himself very smoothly using the cybernetic unit. Next recorded BMI signals were used to control an arm 600 miles away using an IP connection. This was 2000-2001 so you can just imagine where the classified stuff is now.

In another experiment it was reversed: a rats body motions were controlled by external signals. They are now implementing this in insects that are intended for recon. They implant the cybernetics while they're in the chrysalis and when they emerge they're full cyborgs with remote control, TV cams, sensors etc. It's called HI-MEMS, Hybrid Insect MEMS (MicroElectroMechanical Systems).

The potential boggles the mind.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 August 2007, 23:08.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        They implant the cybernetics while they're in the chrysalis and when they emerge they're full cyborgs with remote control, TV cams, sensors etc. It's called HI-MEMS, Hybrid Insect MEMS (MicroElectroMechanical Systems).

The potential boggles the mind.
        Sounds like science fiction to me. Mind truly boggled!
        FT.

Comment

Cool. Next they need to work on bionic-somatosensation.
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

They already have touch, pressure & temperature.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X