*sigh!* nostalgia...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sigh!* nostalgia...

So i'm downloading a 1.8gb game demo. the downloader says it's doing ~500kbps and ~1h to complete...

i remember when 1 megabyte would take ~1h to download.

*sigh!*
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

I go back to 300 baud dialup
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I go back to Morse code at 20 wpm
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I go back to 2400 baud dialup (Elsa external)

Comment

Oh yeah? I used to talk to people in person!
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
            Oh yeah? I used to talk to people in person!
            There's a difference between communications and telecommunications
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Yeah I know, I was just trying to be funny. My first modem was a 14.4k external serial thing in a steel case (An Elsa Microlink). I upgraded to a 28.8 when this got fried in a thunderstorm, later to a 33.6 or 56k, don't know anymore. Then ISDN for quite a while.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                There's a difference between communications and telecommunications
                Depends on how hard you can shout.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat View Post
                  So i'm downloading a 1.8gb game demo. the downloader says it's doing ~500kbps and ~1h to complete...

*sigh!*

BioShock?
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

yeah Bioshock. I heard it is the "sequel" to system shock 2. that means it at least worth a try

started download this morning and went to bed. i'll try it tonight and if good get the game tomorrow.
                    /meow
                    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                    Asus Striker ][

Comment

*sigh!*
                      So bottomline: downloading a game demo always takes an hour?

My telecommunications history:
                      Tornado: 1200 baud, isa.
                      US Robotics: 9600 (flashed to V.90; still in use!), external
                      Siemens S35i + Psion5mx: 9600 (datacall over gsm), irda
                      Nokia 6260: 50k or so (gprs class 10), bluetooth+irda
                      HTC TyTN: up to 3.2Mbit (hsdpa), bleutooth+irda+usb

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

yeah Bioshock. I heard it is the "sequel" to system shock 2. that means it at least worth a try

started download this morning and went to bed. i'll try it tonight and if good get the game tomorrow.

It's more like Alice meets Undying.
                        I never played much of System Shock 2 but Bioshock doesn't strike me as a sequel to SS2, story line wise, maybe I'm wrong ?

Edit: oh, for those who plan on buying it, apparently there are some issues with Securom and activation if you install it on more than two machines or forget to uninstall the game before doing a Windows reinstall. ( http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97061 )
                        Last edited by Admiral; 22 August 2007, 16:45.

Comment

There are always ways around issues like that. Right now the game has made my dvd drive its new home - and it's not going anywhere soon (at least until I beat it).

I was worried about how it would run - the recommended system specs are 2gb of ram and 512mb of video (I have half of each) - but it runs good enough at 1280 high detail. Definitely not counterstrike-twitch-shooter speeds. But good enough.

I haven't played too much yet - but so far its awesome
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                            Yeah I know, I was just trying to be funny. My first modem was a 14.4k external serial thing in a steel case (An Elsa Microlink). I upgraded to a 28.8 when this got fried in a thunderstorm, later to a 33.6 or 56k, don't know anymore. Then ISDN for quite a while.
                            I saved up and bought a 33.6 modem and I was like "yeah bitches, look who's cruisin now." A year later 56K came out and I was still in high school, so couldn't afford to upgrade. That sucked
                            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Going from a 2400baud to a 14.4 with v.42 and v.42bis was ... The only word I can think of at the moment is w00sh!!!

Any remember fun with zmodem/ymodem/kermit etc...?

I remember ymodem being a frustrating piece of shit. It was fast but definitly not worth it.

Re: bioshock;
                              Played a little of the demo last night (actually early this morning) and it definitly feels like system shock 2.

What do you know? A sequel that actually is good!
                              /meow
                              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                              Asus Striker ][

Comment

Working...
                              X