Shakeup in COTS: NASA's private ISS resupply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakeup in COTS: NASA's private ISS resupply

NASA's COTS program (private resupply contract to ISS post shuttle) has 2 competitors: SpaceX's Falcon 9/Dragon and RocketPlane/Kistler.

Today RocketPlane/Kistler announced that their perpetual funding problems have worsened. Rumor is they'll either drop out or be dropped by NASA since they've had 2 extensions already and have been behind on their benchmarks (perpetually "80% done" ). They never reached the pad.

SpaceDev is self-funded and launching.

Now the question is what will NASA do with the funds set aside for RpK.

One school theorizes that they'll give those funds to SpaceX, spread out over the remainder of the existing schedule. Dragon can fly with a crew of 1-7 or cargo only (unmanned). The seats come out, the cargo bays go in, add the trunk (service module w/extra unpressurized storage) and off it goes.

Others think they'll bring in the a team of SpaceDev's DreamChaser spaceplane launched on a ULA (Lockheed/Boeing joint venture) Atlas V. 6-8 passengers depending on the article you read.They've been working on his combo for over a year, but it's unknown if DreamChaser can fly the required unmanned cargo requirement. I would not bet against that crew.

Others think ULA itself will come in with an 8-man capsule Lockheed designed a few years ago: the PTV.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 August 2007, 15:51.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X