• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paramount drops Blu-Ray

CNN link....

Paramount to drop Blu-ray high-def DVDs

August 20, 2007: 01:28 PM EST

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. will offer next-generation DVDs in the HD DVD format and drop support for Blu-ray, further complicating the race between the competing technologies.

Monday's announcement affects the upcoming DVD release of the blockbuster 'Shrek the Third' and all movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films, as well as movies from DreamWorks Animation, which are distributed exclusively by Paramount Home Entertainment.

Paramount previously released movies in both formats.

'Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience,' said Brad Grey, chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc. (NYSE:VIA) 'I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high-quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount.'
    The competition between Blu-ray and HD DVD has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Jeffrey Katzenberg, chief executive of DreamWorks Animation, said consumers seeking to switch to high-definition DVDs will be enticed by the content available for HD-DVD players. He added the lower price for the devices will appeal to the family market.

'Today Toshiba is making HD-DVD players available at $299, which is a first time that it's really been at an affordable price,' Katzenberg said. 'It's a game-changer, what they're doing, and it's why we decided to throw in with them.' Katzenberg said that, until now, the price for high-definition players was too high for most families.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Definetely a blow to Blu-ray!

The decision may create a trend for most major studios to go HD-DVD but who knows...until them I'm on a holding pattern until either the dual mode players are cheap or there is a clear winner in this ever growing saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
      Definetely a blow to Blu-ray!

The decision may create a trend for most major studios to go HD-DVD but who knows...until them I'm on a holding pattern until either the dual mode players are cheap or there is a clear winner in this ever growing saga.
      aye aye
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I can't wait for dual format, full featured players to come out. This media war is rediculous. Remember, there are some Blu-ray only studios too. This just makes things more complicated.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I think BD will eventually win. But who knows! This was definitely an interesting move by Paramount.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia View Post
            I think BD will eventually win. But who knows! This was definitely an interesting move by Paramount.

In my part of the world I hope not. BD has regional coding and HD DVD doesn't. It BD wins then it's back to the local price gouging we saw in the lat 90s before all DVD players sold here were region free.
            paulw

Comment

I will care about this war as soon as my DVD player dies, not earlier, maybe later.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
              X