"HD DVD" vs. "Blu-ray Disc" -- NEITHER WILL WIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "HD DVD" vs. "Blu-ray Disc" -- NEITHER WILL WIN

All hotels in Acapulco. The best selection of Acapulco hotels with reviews and maps. Book in advance and save.

Here’s an interesting thought from Michael Malcolm, founder and CEO of Kaleidescape, the Mountain View company that makes video servers that have a load of hard drives and can store umpteen million DVDs. At a dinner at Quattro in East Palo Alto last night, Malcolm said that neither format may be a winner in the high-end home electronics market.
    ...and this...

Malcolm said he recently went to a show where a company showed him a scaled DVD movie playing side by side with an HD-DVD machine. They were holding a contest on two 1080p 50-inch TVs to see who could identify the image and the right player. Malcolm said about half of the people were guessing wrong. That’s because the DVD image was scaled up by the Realta HQV image processing chip from Silicon Optix. That chip makes a huge difference in quality, Malcolm said.
    Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

It's amazing that both camps didn't get together on one format right from the start. They could have pushed for a MUCH quicker crossover to the HD format if they had done that.

And they both would be making money selling players and software right now instead of spending valuable resources battling in the marketplace.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Typical though.

I've seen some test images from various new scaling algorithms and yes, they're extremely impressive. Maybe something like this will rattle some sense into them, maybe not. One things for sure though; if they keep this up some other higher density, cheaper tech will come along and make the issue moot. Some may not even have moving parts.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 August 2007, 18:19.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

This Silicon Optics technology is freaking impressive.

Jerry Jones

Comment

By the way, I won't be getting either of the high definition players until they put a combination "HD DVD" and "Blu-ray Disc" burner into a laptop computer.

When that happens, and when the price is reasonable, I'll bite.

Until I see a good, cheap dual format burner, I'm happy with DVDs.

Jerry Jones

Comment

If BR players continue to cripple BR-R playback (supposedly at Sony's behest) and DVD players come out with the Silicon Optix chipset both camps may see virtually no sales of HD decks and continued, or expanded, sales of widescreen conventional DVD's.

Uppance: argue too long over standards and a third party will come along and eat your cake

Edit: just found out Toshibas new HD-XA2 has the Silicon Optix scaling chip. So do video processors by NEC, Algolith and Calibre.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 August 2007, 10:00.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

We've been watching 480p DVD along with 720p & 1080i HD broadcasts over cable on a 65" rear projection set for the past four+ years and to be honest, the difference is not worth paying a lot of money for. I'm sure the scalers in sets now are better than what is in our Toshiba.

IF either camp expects normal folks to fork over serious extra money for the "better" quality of Blu-Ray or HD-DVD they are seriously deluding themselves. More pixels won't salvage a lame story, the quality difference from more pixels doesn't blow one away like DVD vs. VHS did and the improved scalers reduce the percieved difference.

--wally.

Edit: Lack of support for menus would be a big virtue for me. The self-indulgent "must watch" crap on DVDs really annoys the hell out of me! Every time "invald" lights up when I press FF or chapter skip, I just want to put my hands around some A-hole "creative's" neck and squeeze!
              Last edited by wkulecz; 21 August 2007, 07:29.

Comment

Originally posted by wkulecz View Post
                I'm sure the scalers in sets now are better than what is in our Toshiba.
                Oh yeah. The typical scaler is 4 or 16 taps while Silicon Optix is 1024 tap, which is more like military parallel processing arrays.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 August 2007, 10:23.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Silicon Optix is expensive stuff though, same as HD equipment. If they want to deliver a blow to the HD camp, they'll have to drop prices so 200 Euro class DVD players can have this chip built-in. That's not going to happen anytime soon.
                  Apulo

Comment

They'll drop, probably sooner than later because using 1024 tap isn't patentable and there are other chipmakers willing to undercut.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

yes internet pron is the way of the future...

Comment

Working...
                      X