GPT Disk under XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPT Disk under XP

...is there a way to use a GPT Disk created with vista ultimate in XP??

i just got done with setting up a second hdd with the vantec mrk-200st-bk mobile rack system. one tray has the vista disk and the other tray has the xp boot environment...both disk are physically identical...not that it matters though?...that part of this is working fine.

when i first set this sytem up i created the 1.5TB raid 0 drive(3x500GB) up under vista...under xp i can see the drive with the disk management utility but i can't assign a drive letter, it says that it is a "GPT protective disk". i would like to be able to use this disk under xp without having to copy everything to dvd and then back again if possible...if not...oh well!

i guess what i'm try to avoid is deleting it in vista and re-creating it under xp and then tell vista not to mess with it

cc
    Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 18 August 2007, 08:11.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Ouch !!!

14. Can the 32-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot from GPT disks?
      No. The 32-bit version will see only the Protective MBR. The EE partition will not be mounted or otherwise exposed to application software.

...OUCH !!

cc

Comment

SP3 for XP might have a fix for this...
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

..thanks mm

so, if my goal is to have one big fat data drive that is usable by both operating systems i should probably proceed with deleteing it under vista and re-creating it under xp?

cc
          Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 18 August 2007, 08:45. Reason: more questions

Comment

That is the simplest if not only way.

Comment

Whenever dealing with accessing information from two versions of the same program/OS, create the file/partition with the earlier version unless known otherwise.
              Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 20 August 2007, 05:40.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama View Post
                Whenever dealing with accessing information from two versions of the same program/OS, create the file/partiotion with the earlier version unless known otherwise.
                what he said. You might also try a disk partition program like Disk Director/Partition Magic that is known to have been updated to support Vista. Many allow a conversion process. I'm unclear if they can convert GPT to XP brand NTFS.
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

...i read that sp3 for xp is due out later this year...and my need isn't really that pressing yet!

i might shop around for an external solution

cc

Comment

XP SP3 was supposedly delayed to coincide with Vista SP1.

Comment

...this idea of "service packs".. with incrementals in between is.. what it is, i guess.

i would rather have "rollups" more frequently to encapsulate the little ones(..updates)

i have a question...why don't all these "security updates" get logged in event viewer?

cc

Comment

Working...
                      X