Sorcery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorcery!

Apparently, sorcery is still a crime here. Wonder whether he'll be burnt at the stake!

Maybe the judge has been reading too much Harry Potter

Judge orders man to stand trial for sorcery
    By John Leonidou

A GUINEAN man was yesterday charged with seven counts of sorcery after he was arrested in a sting operation last week.

Medium Toura Gassama, 52, yesterday pleaded guilty to the first charge of attempting use sorcery, in exchange for a fee, for an undercover police officer but pleaded not guilty to the remaining six charges against him because he claimed he could not remember the other people police say that he scammed.

In the last few months, witch-hunting police around the island have been busting operations where ‘mediums’ and ‘witch doctors’ have been practicing claiming that they are cons and locals are paying thousands and thousands of pounds to get their fortunes read.

According to investigators, Gassama, who also holds a Dutch and Senegalese passport, had in the past charged several people from Nicosia £50 to read their fortunes.

Most of his clients were men and women wanting their partners, who had recently left them, to come back.

According to some of the charges, Gassama had demanded thousands of pounds from his punters so that he could use his powers of magic to make their problems go away.

On August 7, a female undercover police officer went to the apartment he was staying at and told him that she wanted him to use his magic because she was having problems at home with her husband.

He agreed and told her to write down her details such as her phone number, name and address on a notebook.

Gassama then used another notebook and began scribbling lines.

He then told her to write her husband’s details in yet another notebook before telling her that her husband was having affairs with other women.

He then informed her that his fee was £50.

After paying him, the officer revealed her ID badge and informed him that he was under arrest.
    Yesterday, the apologetic Gassama told Judge Alexandros Panayiotou, “I am sorry for what I did. I didn’t know that it was wrong here. Please, pity me because I have children”.

Judge Panayiotou ordered Gassama to remain in police custody until his trial begins on August 20.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

It's not the sorcery he is being trialed for I think, it's the fact that he is scamming people out of serious cash for some crap he tell them. And yes he should be trialed.

Though it's really sad people actually fall for it and believe him

Comment

I checked with another Greek source and they give the same info: "charged with seven counts of sorcery" (μαγεία). Note also the phrase, "witch-hunting police". I agree that the guy is really being brought up for scamming (απάτη), but what kind of modern criminal code makes sorcery, witchcraft and magic (literally the Greek word) criminal? Could the guy not be charged with simply obtaining money by false pretences?

Incidentally, there is still much superstition here in rural areas. For example, seeing a priest in the morning will be a source of the "evil eye". If I visit a neighbour, she will insist on reading the lees in my coffee cup.

Comment

Well, exorcisms are still performed by various religions, including catholisism.

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yep, but exorcism is just another superstition and is NOT criminal. It would be interesting to know whether it is criminal to pay a church to exorcise a building?????????????

Comment

Today's paper shows the bloke was sentenced to 2 months after pleading guilty to 7 charges of sorcery!

Comment

Burn witch!

Comment

Working...
              X