• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISRO (India): manned spaceflight by 2015

Click the link in the text & get a load of their booster. They've been busy

Flight International....

Indian government considers astronaut proposals

By Radhakrishna Rao

A detailed feasibility proposal for the first Indian manned spaceflight mission has been submitted for approval to the New Delhi government by its Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

The proposal gives a timeframe of 2014-15 for the first flight of a 4,000kg (8,800lb) manned capsule into a low-Earth orbit of 400km (248 miles) using the proposed three-stage, cryogenic propellant fuelled Geo-synchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle MkIII rocket.

ISRO, in association with the Indian air force's Institute of Aviation Medicine, is planning to set up a facility in Bangalore to train potential Indian astronauts.

The organisation is working on its robotic Chandrayaan-1 lunar mission, set for launch in March or April 2008, and is to investigate making the Chandrayaan-2 mission a Moon lander rather than an orbiter.

"We will be finalising the nature of the mission in about a year's time. So all the valuable contributions by way of suggestions would be welcome from you all," ISRO chairman G Madhavan Nair told the Indian scientific community.

He added that the agency now has the capability to launch a 500kg orbiter to Mars, which if launched could contribute to international efforts to identify preferable Martian outpost locations.

The ISRO robotic mission roadmap includes an asteroid fly-by mission or an impactor that would ram into a near-Earth object in the second half of the next decade.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 August 2007, 21:10.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

They really have more pressing matters, IMHO, than to throw money at manned spaceflight and nuclear weapons.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Our outsourcing money at work!!!

Good for them, maybe they can prove something to the rest of the world..."work hard to achieve"

Comment

I'm going to go with Az on this one. They have 1 billion+ people, a crappy infrastrcture, huge amounts of poverty, etc. But my guess would be they are going up into space to keep an eye on Pakistan more than anything else. Maybe a little bit of scientific cureosity...
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
        X