Outlook (2003) on NAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook (2003) on NAS

So we're upgrading at home, nothing fancy just way overdue.

Got me a NAS (Sitecom) and a new PC. Wife is migrating from Netscape mail to Outlook (2003). JUst wondering if I can install outlook local and tell it to use the NAS as mailfile. The laptop may run a newer Outlook and I want it to use the same files. Any issues I should expect?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

You can put the .pst where ever you like, but I dunno about using different versions of Outlook with it. Would be fun to try.
    FT.

Comment

So what is the .pst file? Does it include all the settings for pop3/smtp servers etc? Where is it stored normally and how can I change it?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

This isn't widely known, but it is not a good a idea to put a *.pst (Outlook Mail file) on a network share: You can take down a fileserver this way...

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Thx, I'll not do it then.

Now I'm in the fix that apparantly Outlook 2003 can't import Netscape Messenger mails and adress books, a sheit.

Anyone got experience with Transend (www.transend.com). It pains me to pay $50 for a one off but what am I to do?..

Comment

Any reason to choose outlook over Thunderbird?

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
              Any reason to choose outlook over Thunderbird?
              Greater potential for viruses??

So we're upgrading at home, nothing fancy just way overdue.

Got me a NAS (Sitecom) and a new PC. Wife is migrating from Netscape mail to Outlook (2003). JUst wondering if I can install outlook local and tell it to use the NAS as mailfile. The laptop may run a newer Outlook and I want it to use the same files. Any issues I should expect?

Not that it matters because it would kill the network speed as indicated above but the thing to remember is to create the PST file with the earlier version of Outlook. For example, old versions of Outlook (2002 and earlier) could only create and use PST files less than 2GB. I am sure their are other differences as well.

I once accessed my PST file at work over the network, but it was only ~12MB at the time.

Comment

Thanks all.

So it is Thunderbird. The thing I do _not_ like about it (as I did not with Netscape) is how it places its files, but youcan't have it all, can you? Now I am wondering about about putting those on the NAS but i suspect the same problems and fear corruption if more than one PC is accessing the files at the same time. Guess it's best to leave it locally.

Comment

Please understand, I did, for several years, access my Outlook mail over a network share with no issues.

Cutting through some of the FUD in that article, it isn't just *.PST files which have the problem. It is any file which can be accessed and modified as a non-contiguous object by an external program. Microsoft doesn't want to support this, because SMB does not handle large file sizes well. They may change their tune with SMB2 in Longhorn Server.

The warnings referenced in the article only come up with large fileservers serving several concurrent large *.PST files or other files which can be addressed non-contiguously.

Most home users will never see the issue, but if you do, it could get ugly because the file can become corrupted past recovery.
                  Last edited by MultimediaMan; 14 August 2007, 10:47.
                  Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Thx, I'll not do it then.

Now I'm in the fix that apparantly Outlook 2003 can't import Netscape Messenger mails and adress books, a sheit.

Anyone got experience with Transend (www.transend.com). It pains me to pay $50 for a one off but what am I to do?..
                    No import directly, BUT, I had to convert a VP here from NS7.x to Outlook 2003. First was copying files from NS7 into NS4.x and making sure the files were seen. Then import into Outlook Express. Then finally into Outlook. So it can be done, just time involved.
                    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1 View Post
                      No import directly, BUT, I had to convert a VP here from NS7.x to Outlook 2003. First was copying files from NS7 into NS4.x and making sure the files were seen. Then import into Outlook Express. Then finally into Outlook. So it can be done, just time involved.
                      This sounds like a frustrating and interesting experience
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

it was 3 hours but it was rewarding once done
                        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                        X