Excuse me while I drool...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse me while I drool...

Dell XPS M1730 rumor in French with Google translation. Quad core on a laptop, and look at the cooling solution from the back and bottom. If only it had HDMI, eSATA and Expresscard it would be a true gamer desktop replacement.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I'd rather have a 12" MacBook Pro with capacitive touch screen, convertible to a slate, with a dedicated graphics chip and 2.5" HDD.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

"Laptops" aren't meant to dissipate that much heat. It will be unusable unless placed on a desk, and even then the keyboard surface is going to get hot... not to mention a silly short battery life.
      My guess is its a fake... unless Dell is really getting (even more) stupid.

Comment

Gamer notebooks are "in". Desktop Replacement laptops aren't meant to be used on a lap, they're rather portable all-in-one desktops, kind of like iMacs.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
          Gamer notebooks are "in". Desktop Replacement laptops aren't meant to be used on a lap, they're rather portable all-in-one desktops, kind of like iMacs.
          Exactly what I had in mind

edit: example of the above: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...area-51_m9750/
          Last edited by TransformX; 14 August 2007, 00:49.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
            http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Dell XPS M1730 rumor in French with Google translation. Quad core on a laptop, and look at the cooling solution from the back and bottom. If only it had HDMI, eSATA and Expresscard it would be a true gamer desktop replacement.

Jammrock

Sorry to burst your bubble there Jamm but the X7800 is just a Core 2 @ 3GHz. Still a dual core. I've been reading up on what Intel is going to release for notebooks and quad core arenn't until Q1-Q2 2008.

I myself can't wait till they release quad's for laptops!
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
              Sorry to burst your bubble there Jamm but the X7800 is just a Core 2 @ 3GHz. Still a dual core. I've been reading up on what Intel is going to release for notebooks and quad core arenn't until Q1-Q2 2008.

I myself can't wait till they release quad's for laptops!

Bummer. I thought they were coming out sooner. Oh well, I'm sure the lappy will get it once they come out.

As for why I would take this over a 12" job ... more power. I've used laptops enought o know they can be slow. I'm using one right now. They are rarely as powerful as desktops, but I need the portability with my job, so having this beasty would be nice. Though I'm sure sticker shock will keep me away from it.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                Bummer. I thought they were coming out sooner. Oh well, I'm sure the lappy will get it once they come out.

As for why I would take this over a 12" job ... more power. I've used laptops enought o know they can be slow. I'm using one right now. They are rarely as powerful as desktops, but I need the portability with my job, so having this beasty would be nice. Though I'm sure sticker shock will keep me away from it.

The price has always kept me from a laptop one till 6 months ago. But for the price I paid for mine, I could have easily got a desktop that's twice as powerful in every respect. But I'm very happy with the performance and the lappy itself. (finally got it back after a 6 week RMA, but they replaced it with a slightly newer model instead of jut repairing it, yay!) It runs great and is decent enough for gaming.

Bummer indeed! As for the article, even though it's a core 2 duo @3GHz and not a quad core, I'm sure that with a decent graphics adapter (Geforce 7950, 8700 or radeon 2600) it should be a fairly decent gaming mahcine. You pay extra for portability but lugging around a 7lbs laptop isn't as bad as a 50lbs tower not including extra's! Plus, IMO, I think laptop 's are more advanced than desktops. Anyone can build a powerful desktop but then you need ginormous heatsinks and a powerful PSU, as for a laptop, it's all in a small, light portable case.

Comment

Laptops are fast enough for me, I'd just want a faster hard drive, and the money t afford one with a dedicated graphics chip (that runs OSX and is small and lightweight).

Comment

Desktop "replacement" laptops are one of the most retarded notion in the pc community...
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                      Desktop "replacement" laptops are one of the most retarded notion in the pc community...
                      I agree and as fot the category "entertainement laptop". What? It only contains films, music and pr0n??

And the category "conventional laptop" suggests that all the others are UNconventional!?!?!?!?

They should be categorized by CPU, GPU and/or LCD sizem, imo.

Comment

Well, what I meant was that desktop replacement laptops is an abomination...

They are not portable (anything over 15 pounds is not portable).

They fry any surface they are placed on.

The nuclear power adapter is either a self destructive or big enough to clobber someone to death with.

When the fans clog they die, and the fans will clog.

I've heard quieter diesel engines.

I don't have anything against people who uses a regular laptop instead of a PC, but those beefed up monster mutant things are a retarded idea!
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well, what I meant was that desktop replacement laptops is an abomination...

They are not portable (anything over 15 pounds is not portable).

They fry any surface they are placed on.

The nuclear power adapter is either a self destructive or big enough to clobber someone to death with.

I've heard quieter diesel engines.

I don't have anything against people who uses a regular laptop instead of a PC, but those beefed up monster mutant things are a retarded idea!
                          I understand. Kind of defeats the purpose of being called a "laptop" in that case. I personally don't have anything against those types of machines, as they are more "portable" than desktops, in which case they truly are "desktop replacements". But they aren't portables. For a "portable" gaming mahcine, I'd rather build a "small form factor" otherwise I'd get a true laptop, like the one I already have.

LOL

This can happen with any machine unfortunetely.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                            This can happen with any machine unfortunetely.
                            If my psu fan dies I would be screwed, other than that with the only possible exception being my gpu - any other fan could die and I would be fine. Sort of off topic - but I just wanted to brag about how awesome this P182 and Thermalright cpu-HS are. I've ran my cpu fanless - and its a bloody prescott!!
                            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
                              If my psu fan dies I would be screwed, other than that with the only possible exception being my gpu - any other fan could die and I would be fine. Sort of off topic - but I just wanted to brag about how awesome this P182 and Thermalright cpu-HS are. I've ran my cpu fanless - and its a bloody prescott!!

Hehe.

Comment

Working...
                              X