Arghhhh @£$#¤%& Vista!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arghhhh @£$#¤%& Vista!!!

We sold a new HP Notebook to a customer today.

As pretty much everything today it came with Vista home basic.

And as you can probably se from the specs it isnt a performance notebook.

Some hours later the customer calls and wants help getting it online, since its only a 2 min walk I head over to fix what I think is a "deinstall symantec NIS" 15 min problem.

When I get there I get the "I phoned my ISP, they say that my computer needs a new nic/ reinstall /etc etc" speach from the customer

At first look It seems that it should work, it gets IP and dns etc etc.

but IE refuses to go anywhere.

When I finally reach the network connections (which for some reason is not an icon directly in the controll panel but only reacheable through the network and charing center) I find a couple of pppoe conections and some VPN tunnels and for some reason the wifi is bridged to the nic.

the customer claims that he only used the "connect to internet guide" and it made the mess.

I remove it all, deinstalls NIS (its just a 60 day DEMO anyway) and still it wont work.

I start going through all the normal in these cases, cycling his cable modem, checking the connection with another computer(it works),checking that the NIC isnt dead (Universal Tcp IP boot disk is your friend).

at that point I'm back to vista and after a while the customer loses his patience.
    Since the laptop is new and the customer don't have anything on it he asks if it wouldn't be quicker to just restore it, I agree (and I also tries no not remember that his ISP recommended it ).

An hour later (blazing fast machine it ISN'T) it still refuses

So I grab it and run down to the shop, plugs it into our net.

Pling, I'm connected

I run windows update and updates and heads back to the customer.

I hook it up.

Pling, I'm connected

Now it works

WTF?!? (no i didn't think it would)

Oh well, first ver XP unpatched used to refuse to connect to the web interface of routers
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Not here until SP2, if then.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Vista networking truly does suck. The performance pack (http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?t=62662) is supposed to fix a lot of the networking problems. I have not installed it yet, but will later tonight. I have a series of 4-5 tweaks I run to get networking to run acceptibly.

Vista still needs a lot of work. I have been very tempted to switch back to XP.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It might be a good idea going back to XP.

I haven't thought of anything apart for DX10 to get me to go Vista...and i'm still hoping someone will be able to bring DX10 to XP...either that or for the game Devs to not use DX at all, like John Carmack does (AFAIK)...

Has anyone really found a 'need' for Vista for anything at all ? (apart from the prettiness)
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

The only need I've found is that my students are buying laptops with it...
          FT.

Comment

we are fortunate in being able to convince all of our customers to buy new pc's well XP on them
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

All of you guys that bought DX10 hardware are gonna be even more cheesed when you read up on DX10.1 which will go out with Vista SP1 - make all your hardware outdated.

Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

i still have vista sitting on my desk looking pretty in its box. its a $400 paper weight until i figure out how to get it to install.
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

I uninstalled Vista from the one 'puter I had it on. Have had 2 new 'puters through my hands this past week or so. Both with XP. No problems.

Who needs expensive, dysfunctional, bloatware that doesn't even have drivers available for half the stuff I have?
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Who else thinks Vista is another WinME in training?

Absent having software or hardware that flat-out requires Vista I see no reason in hell for using it, especially when XP-SP2 is pretty much solid.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 August 2007, 05:14.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
                      All of you guys that bought DX10 hardware are gonna be even more cheesed when you read up on DX10.1 which will go out with Vista SP1 - make all your hardware outdated.

http://theinquirer.net/?article=41577
                      Yup. It IS quite a bummer, but i wasn't expecting the first gen of DX10 to be a top performer, quite the contrary.
                      I mostly bought an 8800 to be able to play the DX9 stuff full on.

It is a bummer for those that spent sodloads of cash on a new system, cos they thought DX10 would be around for years...

I won't be going Vista for a while, until i'm basically forced to by something, so DX10 is a moot point anyway
                      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
                        we are fortunate in being able to convince all of our customers to buy new pc's well XP on them
                        All our in shop built computers have XP on em, it's just that on the notebook there isn't much choice in the matter
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post

http://theinquirer.net/?article=41577
                          from the above mentioned link:

10.1 adds virtually nothing that they will care about and, more to the point, adds almost nothing that developers are likely to care about. The spec revision basically makes a number of things that are optional in DX10 compulsory
                          Hrm, and here I thought that one of THE big benefits with DX10 was that there was NO optional features

So that developers could code against the DX sdk and not their gfx cards

Comment

I think Crysis will play pretty well on the 8800. There were reports of running decent on a notebook with 8700GO.
                            I don't feel like getting screwed for buying DX10 hardware just because Company of Heroes or some other game that wasn't supposed to use it to start with takes a major hit under DX10.

Comment

The new performance pack does help a lot. I installed it last night and the system has been working markedly better since.
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X