China: heads will roll....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China: heads will roll....

....over the tainted toy affair. Sounds like the firing squad will have more customers. That's what happened in the dog food incident.

Link....

China to 'severely' punish those in tainted toys scandal

BEIJING: China will "severely" punish those involved in the latest product safety scandal involving a Chinese manufacturer exporting toys tainted with poisonous lead, state media said on Wednesday.

US toy company Mattel reportedly identified on Wednesday a factory in China involved in producing toys which it earlier said were recalled in the United States over fears they contained lead.

"Concerning those involved in seriously conspiring to break the law, the parties involved will be transferred to legal authorities to be dealt with severely according to the law," China's Internet portal sina.com quoted a quality control official as saying.

"The supervision bureau will increase its level of management, stop the export of the goods in question and resume exports when qualifications are completely overhauled," said the official.

The comments came as a series of consumer health safety scares around the globe in recent months involving a wide variety of goods made in China has put the spotlight on the Asian giant's lax safety standards.

China's toy industry is the world's largest.

Fisher-Price said last week it was recalling 967,000 toys including popular Sesame Street and Dora the Explorer-branded toys sold in United States stores between May and August this year. The toys were believed to contain lead paint.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Just a "show" for the world, do you think that they really care if their own people have the same or worse?

Just heard somewhere on the radio how many Chinese die each year from food poisoning (huge amount) and nobody cares there.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
      Just a "show" for the world, do you think that they really care if their own people have the same or worse?

Not necessarily.

In th mid 90's there was a baby selling scandal regarding international adoptions in China.
      They closed the program for two years while they completely reformed it.
      It is now the envy of the world and the main cause of the huge increase in adoptions from China around the world that has taken place over the last few years.

I believe it has also had a dramatic effect of domestic adoption rates in China.
      There has been a big increase in domestic Chinese adoptions that could be considered a direct result of that reform along with the general increase in wealth in China.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I think that we have to cut 'em some slack since they're trying to transition from their old, archaic & often corrupt system to a modern regulatory system in real time. That's triple-tough.

As for their tendency to execute the perps in these matters; I don't think it's for our benefit but is a warning to others to get their act straight or else.

This of course means the rest of the world has to redouble its import checking efforts until their system is in better shape. Lucky us
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 August 2007, 08:34.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Right now I would put the odds of "Real" -vs- "Show" at about 50/50

Much better than it used to be.

PS I don't know how many lead test sticks we have used testing ChooChoo's stuff, starting way before this scandal.
          It's just a common sense precaution when you have a toddler.
          Last edited by cjolley; 9 August 2007, 08:53.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

We did that wih our kids too, and guess what? Most of the positives came from toys labeled made in the US and Europe

Go figure....
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              We did that wih our kids too, and guess what? Most of the positives came from toys labeled made in the US and Europe

Go figure....

THe definition of "made in ..." might be a bit weak.

Mayhaps it should be replaced by the two: "Designed in ..." and "Assembled in ...".

Although then we will have to divide "assembled in ..." into: "Packaged in ..." and "Fabricated in...".

It never ends..

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Oddly (or not) we never had a lead hit on any toys.
                Only a couple of dishes.

The glaze on a Chinese mug we got at Walt Disney World on our honeymoon 20 years ago seemed to have been made of water soluble lead paint.
                Turned the test stick bright red.
                Last edited by cjolley; 9 August 2007, 09:37.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Ours was the paint on a toy wooden train engine, which also showed brigt crimson. The odd part was that he coal car, caboose and cargo cars all tested negative even if they were the same color

Obviously separate sourcing.

IIRC it was "made" in Italy and sold in toy boutiques here, not Toys R Us or the like.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Couldn't be a better timing for this one.....

Walmart Sandals Beginning

Walmart Sandals End

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

*checks feet*

Nope, my Wal-Mart sandals haven't burned my feet, yet...

Comment

Whoa! How did THAT happen?
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

With all due respect, China still doesn't value human life. If in doubt, check the many articles about China in Time magazine.
                          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

In the spirit of the China hosting the Olympics, and the spirit of freedom, China would like to say, "Off with their heads!"
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
                              Couldn't be a better timing for this one.....

Walmart Sandals Beginning

Walmart Sandals End

Pictures like this always makes me wonder, did the person continue wearing the sandals after pic 1, or did it end up like in pic 2 even after stopping to wear em ?

or did it develop so fast that he/she didnt have time to treat it?
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Edit: Note to Myself: Read the blasted descriptions on the linked pages

If he continued to use them until his feet looked like that he must be retarded!
                              Last edited by Technoid; 9 August 2007, 15:56.
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X