Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goin' to Chicago!

Hey all!

So Julie has a workshop in Chicago September 16th (Sunday) so we're going Sat-Mon. Tickets were super-cheap on Southwest so I'm tagging along. No kids, whee!

Anyone been there or live there and want to recommend anyplace nice to go, eat, or see? We're staying on the ... "miracle mile" or something. Lots of shopping apparently... but of course taxis will take us anywhere!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Jazz clubs;

The Green Mill - 4802 N. Broadway Ave. - an old Al Capone hangout. Classic

August sched....

Kimberly Gordon Organ Trio - Sunday 11 pm

Andy's Jazz Club - 11 East Hubbard St. - another classic place

August sched...

Andy's Jam Session - Sunday 7 pm to midnight - never know what/who to expect

Cuatro - 2030 S. Wabash - good Latin American/Caribbean food

Sunday Night Jazz Series - Sundays 7 pm
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 August 2007, 13:55.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
      We're staying on the ... "miracle mile" or something.

Make it the “Magnificent Mile”

Anyway, I’ll be more than happy to give you some pointers…….. but I need to know what you & your wife are into.

As far as sightseeing, you’re in the perfect spot, need to know what type of food you prefer or would like to experience and how many days are you in town for?

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Navy Pier, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Art Institute, Adler Planetarium. Go up the John Hancock observatory (better view, IMO, than Sear's Tower). These are all in the downtown area. Of course, shopping down Michigan Ave. Further south of downtown, like 57th Street, Museum of Science and Insdustry (see U505). Chinatown is like on Cermak and Archer Ave.
        RC Agent
        AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
        AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
        AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

Originally posted by RC Agent View Post
          Go up the John Hancock observatory (better view, IMO, than Sear's Tower)

Yes, but only during daylight hours, for night viewing, Sears is the best. Just have to make sure that the visibility is good.

First, did you mention no kids? check out the Odyssey Dinner Cruise if you’re in the mood for a romantic dinner.

Step aboard Odyssey and enjoy a two- or three-hour escape to the signature elegance and total entertainment experience only a true luxury cruising vessel can provide. Creative appetizers, entrees and desserts prepared fresh onboard daily. Award-winning wines. Dancing to live music. And unmatched skyline views drifting past your table.
          It takes off from the Navy Pier, another place to see and take a ride on the Ferries Wheel. I was never satisfied dining on the Pier, accept for the Cruise Ships, highly recommend them.

Or, if you worry about getting seasick but still into the romance, consider the Signature Room.

If you have time, I’d say take a long walk. Start at the intersection of Michigan and Illinois and just go south, over the river, you may wonder a little to the west on Wecker Drive, enjoy the view.
          Get back on Michigan Avenue, continue going south leaving the “view” behind, until you get to the Millennium Park. Check out the “Bean”, Bandshell & whatever else will catch your eye. When done, continue walking south on Michigan past the Art Institute of Chicago (save that for different day) and go east on Congress. You’ll walk toward Buckingham Fountain.

Check that out and continue going east until you get to the edge of the lake and all those sailboats parked over there. Whatever you do, do not walk along the Lake shore drive, too many cars. Make a right and keep going south toward the Shedd Aquarium, from its steps you’ll have anther spectacular view of Chicago.

After that, go toward the Planetarium to catch the “Postcard” view of Chicago, day and night time recommended. From there you can catch a taxi back to the hotel or a water taxi to Navy Pier.

These are my first choices on the “To Do” list.

Places to see: Art Institute of Chicago, Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Chinatown.

While walking on Navy Pier, try those fresh Cinnamon roasted nuts (almonds, cashew, etc), they are great. And, must try Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza too.

Then we have the Business District, the Night life, Dining and Shopping. How much more time you’ll have?

Or maybe you want to see Oprah Show live?

EDIT: Just saw the "we're going Sat-Mon" in your post, that is not much at all
          Last edited by ND66; 8 August 2007, 07:24.

Comment

No, it's not much. We have all day Saturday, part of Sunday (as much as Julie can beg off from her workshop), and Monday morning only. I know it's not enough, but it'll have to do - it's all we get. I couldn't pass up $80 round-trip plane tickets (well, $100 after fees, but STILL)!

As for what we're into - museums, dinner, etc. That cruise sounds fun. I'll make Julie read this thread. LOL!

Don't know that we'd really have time for a show or anything. We love good food, although Julie is NOT as adventurous as I. Someone mentioned a Cuban place, we might check that out! (I love ... Cuban, Japanese, Thai, Italian, etc. but Julie is a little more reserved...)
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Check out THIS site, you can learn a great deal juat about anything in Chicago, food, events, etc.

This will give you more ideas.

BTW, you're flying Southwest to Midway Airport, if you haven’t been to Chicago, it will not be the best first impression of Chicago you'll get. There is nothing wrong with Midway, just not much of a WOW factor when visiting for the first time.

Last edited by ND66; 8 August 2007, 07:35.

Comment

If you like deep dish pizza, then Chicago is the place for that.
                Go to Pizzeria Due. Its made from scratch so it takes 45+ min to cook, unlike the crust at Unos that is pre-baked.
                If you have time and want some seafood, try Joe's Stone Crab. I think the stone crab are out of season now unfortunately, but the rest of the food there is still excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
                  Check out THIS site, you can learn a great deal juat about anything in Chicago, food, events, etc.

This will give you more ideas.

BTW, you're flying Southwest to Midway Airport, if you haven’t been to Chicago, it will not be the best first impression of Chicago you'll get. There is nothing wrong with Midway, just not much of a WOW factor when visiting for the first time.

After flying out of T.F. Greene for years? ANYTHING is impressive.

When we lived in PA, we used to go to Lehigh Valley International all the time, that was pretty much just a shack with jumbo jets.

And don't get me started on the Philly airport, that place is a hellhole.

Comment

Hahaha... but at least TF Greene is fairly clean. Last time I was in Midway the place looked like a dump.
                    Yeah the lehigh valley airport in Allentown is kind of ghetto, but surprisingly they had some decent flight schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
                      Hahaha... but at least TF Greene is fairly clean. Last time I was in Midway the place looked like a dump.
                      Yeah the lehigh valley airport in Allentown is kind of ghetto, but surprisingly they had some decent flight schedules.

Oh yes, decent cheap flights... but ghetto.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post

They did some major constructions in Midway, expended and improved the place. But I haven’t been there in a while. We are very close to O’Hare airport, it’s just too convenient to be looking somewhere else… .

Comment

BTW, HERE is why you don't want to see Chicago at Night from the John Hancock observatory.

(Please follow the link only at night time, Chicago time zone please )

Comment

Ok, as we wrap up our "day", and prepare to go forage for dinner, impressions:

1. I REALLY LIKE CHICAGO. Ok, the weather can be extreme. And it's in the "midwest". But... it's... CLEAN. And compared to Boston it's spacious and uncrowded.

2. Giordano's was the best Chicago-style pizza I've ever had. Of course, I also came to the realization that I really don't prefer Chicago-style pizza. I'm a Greek-style pizza guy. But it was tasty! Also, we saw celebrities there. "Family Guy Live" is in town, and Seth Green and Mila Kunis had lunch 3 tables away from us.

3. The boat tour is great, but shorts was NOT the appropriate attire. Plus our tour guide was a transplant from Long Island, so he both looked and sounded like Joey Buttafuoco.

4. Starting at the Hyatt Regency, walking the entire Magnificent Mile, seeing the Presbyterian Church and Water Tower in detail, shopping, walking back to the Hotel, walking back out to the Magnificent Mile, eating at Giordanos, then taking the bus through the loop to the Field Museum, doing the Egypt, American, and Gemstone exhibits, then walking all the way back making stops in Grant Park (Buckingham Fountain), CelticFest (see separate thread on utilikilts), Millenium Park (The Bean and the Giant Reflecting Pool Heads), and then back to the Hotel again... is a LOT of walking. So I think that we're going to forego our amazing dinner and movie plans in favor of "dinner at the steakhouse downstairs" and "can we find the hot tub?".

5. Nobody should have to get up at 3AM to go on vacation for 2 days... but getting into town and checked into the hotel by 9AM gives you honest-to-God the ENTIRE day to sightsee.

6. Midway was NICE! The part of town Midway was in? Not so much...
                            Last edited by Gurm; 16 September 2007, 12:48.

Comment

Ok day 2 is thus far MUCH less interesting.

At the conclusion of day 1, we determined several additional things:

7. Stetson's Chop House, despite our mediocre expectations (it's on the first floor of a hotel chain, we expected solid "good" food but nothing astonishing) and the high prices (the CHEAPEST entree is $28, all side dishes are extra)... was AWESOME. We had prime rib that was easily in my "top three beef experiences of all time", the side dishes were excellent albeit pricey, and the ambience was GREAT. They had a jazz trio (singer, bass, piano) that did a lot of favorites with some great improvisation. No sooner had I remarked quietly to Julie that I'd love to hear "The Lady is a Tramp" (no idea why I was in THAT kind of mood) they launched into it. "Girl From Ipanema", "My Home Town", etc. And the "extras" more than made up for the high prices. Every time we turned around there was a free mini-appetizer or mini-dessert making its appearance. Tiny little sorbets with miniature sugar cones, chocolate covered strawberries to sweeten the check, and the bread that started it was amazing - dark rye with golden raisins in it... wow. And the serving sizes were unreal. We each ordered the 14oz. prime rib, but easily could have shared ONE (and thus saved $30, *sigh*). The side dishes were easily large enough for 2-3 people each. Everything was just amazing.

8. The Hyatt's climate control struggles on cool days. You'd think that they would have the climate control worked out better - this city is well known for extremes of weather. I think that it probably works really well on very hot and very cold days, but just sort of wibbles along when the temperature outside is 60-65 but very sunny... thus our night's sleep was less than stellar, but the bed and room themselves are awesome. Little amenities - such as a line-in on the clock radio for our MP3 player - really do the trick.

9. There is NO POOL at this hotel. WTF? Who has a high-priced hotel with no pool? Ahh well, the fitness center made up for it. Best workout I've had in a while! The lack of a hot tub, however, was unforgiveable. Seriously, I was tired and achy and cold and wanted a hot tub. *meh*

---------------------------

I've spent the morning of Day 2 eating room service for breakfast (not something we'll repeat - it wasn't stellar but the prices were), and catching up on my reading. Finally got a chance to finish "The Dark Is Rising" sequence. The last book is a really slow read for some reason, but nailed that down. Had latte at "Descartes Cafe", which was a LOT like Starbucks but with the station tuned to rock instead of "eclectic crap mix", and more brightly lit - perfect for reading. A small place that serves you in nice mugs and knows exactly how to make a latte. Two thumbs way up.

Rebalanced our budget, played a couple games of chess against the computer (the chess program in Vista is pretty good, actually), got our boarding passes printed for tomorrow, and started "Anansi Boys". Had a light lunch, and now after this update I'm taking a nap since Julie will undoubtedly be wanting to shoot out the door the minute she gets done with her seminar.

This afternoon we're going to revisit a couple shops on the Magnificent Mile (the HUGE Lego shop and the world-famous popcorn place in particular) on our way to Navy Pier. Haven't decided what to have for dinner just yet, but we'll get there.

Comment

Working...
                              X