Recommend a good all-in-one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a good all-in-one?

I need a new scanner and a new A4 printer. Seems to me these days an A-I-O isn't too much of a compromise.

Photo work is rare as I have a dedicated 6*4 printer for the camera, so I just need respectable mono printing with the odd splash of colour, and ideally low running costs.

In the past I have always favoured Epson inkjets for their photo quality, inspite of the high cost of comsumables (they seem more prone to needing original ink and paper than any other brand), but our document printing volume is increasing and need for photo quality is reducing so mono quality and running costs are now more important.

TIA,

T.
    FT.

We have 3 of the HP "breadbox" all in ones and they work great. Margie has one she uses at work (school) and it can be used as a freestanding copier when the main one has a snit.

Most are well under $150.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 August 2007, 10:09.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks Doc. What model is that, I don't see it on the HP site?

Anyone used the Canon Pixma MP600 or know how it compares to the HPs?
      FT.

Comment

1. All "all-in-one" printers should be subjected to a sledgehammer!
        2. Any printer who has "combined" (more than one color) ink cartridges is out to hurt your wallet.
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post

Looks like THIS one to me.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Thanks. It is in the Photosmart range rather than the Office Jet range.

I used to agree about AIOs but they have come a long way since first inception.
            I will always agree about individual colour cartridges!
            FT.

Comment

I have the Canon MP500 and love it. It's a very nice printer. the scanner is... ok. It's good but it doesn't do the fine detail that I like. Example and this is purely something that might matter to me. I had a $90 acer scanner I bought in 2000. I could scan my hand and it would get the details of everything. Including the parts of the hand that didn't physically touch the glass. the MP500 can't do that, the only lines on my hand you can see are the ones touching the glass. Mind you, if I scan a photo it's fine.. probably more than fine. That and I DO like the seperate color carts, and if you set the default to always print in econo it will still look fine. Especially for a regular document.
              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Older scanners had much more depth of field sharpness than newers have. This does not say anything about their scanning quality, it is merely due to them using different optics/sensors (which is also why they are flatter). Generally, AIO scanners still aren't as good as all but the cheapest flatbeds, though.
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

What new scanners still have good depth of field? Good depth of field still comes in handy for some of the wackier stuff I try for art projects.
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post

HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One

Link....

I've used HP & Canon with good results and both offer easily replaceable print heads.

I would not buy an Epson unless it had easily replaceable print heads. The ones I've had did not, making them disposables no matter how expensive they were.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I recently bought a Pixma MP600.

Printing quality is excellent, scanning quality is a mixed bag though. Scans are sharp, but the colors are a bit washed out (if thats the correct term). Copy's on the other hand look better then the scans. Overall I am quite happy with it. Except for some small driver issues.
                      Last edited by knirfie; 9 August 2007, 04:24.
                      Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Working...
                      X