Bent Pins On CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Pins On CPU

I bought a used P4 478/3GHz/512/800 CPU from e-bay. I'm not sure if the pins have been bent while I was unpacking the chip or if it has been in that condition before.

It had 3 pins on the outer row that were bent to about 30 degrees. I manage to straighten them and put the chip into the zif socket in and out 2 times. No particular
    fource has been required but the affected side required very slight pressure to get
    the chip seating squarely on top the zif socket, with no problems to close the lever.

I have not tested the cpu yet since I'm waiting to borrow a psu rarther than using
    one that is allready on a machine which otherise I would have to dismantle.

My question is; shall I try to get the pins perfectly (straight) enligned to zero insertion
    force or leave it as it is without risking the brakeage of any pins ?
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Leave well alone. If they've gone in and the CPU is sitting flat, you are done. Don't interfere with the pins any more than you absolutely have to.

This is a thing of the past now with the Core2's etc as the 'pins' are a part of the socket. The underside of the cpu just has a grid of contacts.
    FT.

Comment

Same with the AMD socket F's which also use a ball grid arrray.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I've been bending pins back since the socket 7 days. As long as they don't break off (thankfully has never happened) and they all fit in the socket you are FINE.

As the hardware guru at whatever job I'm at (gurm being my first real competition, but then I haven't worked with the people from here before him) I play with a lot of old hardware or fix stuff others give up on. Bent chips are fairly common from what I see. I find the best tool for the job is one of those double ended pen screw drivers (often found in Belkin tool kits) are the best unless the pin is pushed ALL the way down to the chip. Then use the smallest flat head screw driver you can find (eye glass repair kits are good for this).
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Thank you guys. Advice taken !!

So now with the Core2's the problem of bent pins is diverted to the MOBO and Intel have
          cleared the problem of 20% (so they say) of chips with bent pins. !!
          We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

yeah I haven't tried bending pins on the motherboard.. they seem to be a smidge different and might actually be HARDER to fix. Thankfully you don't have to deal with that.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

They'd solve this problem if they went back to DIP...

Comment

LOL, that would be one VERY long chip, especially at 0.1" pitch

And I recall installing a math co-processor in an early Vectra that was DIP format... I forget how many times I had to straighten an entire row of pins, but it was more than once
                FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                  Leave well alone. If they've gone in and the CPU is sitting flat, you are done. Don't interfere with the pins any more than you absolutely have to.

This is a thing of the past now with the Core2's etc as the 'pins' are a part of the socket. The underside of the cpu just has a grid of contacts.

Mmm not so sure about that. My present Motherboard is slightly warped so when you try to put the Heatsink on much fun entails. After struggling with this and ending up with a none booting board the only conclusion I came up with that the pins were bent away from the CPU during fitting the heatsink.

Reseating the CPU fixed it but I wonder what state the pins are in on the Motherboard.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

What about the slot format ?
                    Latency hit and cooling issues ?

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                      What about the slot format ?
                      Latency hit and cooling issues ?
                      The main problem with the slot format is your adding an extra heat spreader into the mix. you have a chip on a board, in a housing and by the time the real heatsink can take the heat away you have at least one extra layer in there with possible bad contact. In this current era of excessive heat it's not a good method. That and you've basically put the cpu on a riser card take it that much farther away from the northbridge and memory. That and slot cpu's were always a pain to install without problems.

.... so basically YES what you said.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                        Same with the AMD socket F's which also use a ball grid arrray.
                        so the socket F is a real BGA zif sockel? (the intel 755 is not) :?:
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post

Yes, now you can bent the pins on the mobo rather than those on the socket :')
                          And unfortunatly, those are near impossible to repair...
                          Last edited by knirfie; 9 August 2007, 04:20.
                          Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Working...
                          X