Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hibernate causes weird behaviour

Hello,

In XP, the hibernation feature on my pc worked perfectly. When I upgraded to Vista, it doesn't anymore.
    The screen goes black (after what seems a normal hibernation time), but the drives perform a seek (seems noisier than a normal seek) keep spinning and the pc beeps as if it it reboots. Oddly, it doesn't reboot but stays like this. I can only shut it down by pressing the power button for 4 seconds. Upon reboot, it turns out that Windows wasn't hibernated but just shut down.

Any thoughts on how to start solving this?

Thanks,

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

try newer drivers, see if any of the numerous hibernate specific patches ms has released fixes it, Format C: and go back to XP,
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Microsoft horribly broke "deep sleep" and other aspects of power management in Vista. If you're 100% up to date with patches, you might try one of the unofficial hotfix sites, they have a LOT of hotfixes for that. I managed to finally find the right hotfix that wouldn't completely bung up my wireless when the laptop came out of sleep mode, but then luckily MS finally made it an official update.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Power management has *always* been a nightmare. I rarely use it, but then my working patterns make that feasible.
        FT.

Comment

No patches have been applied so far: I had no internet connection, but as that has changed (via 3G, not really intended for this machine but it is possible) I'll have it apply all updates.

Fat Tone:
          The only reason I want hibernate to work is for my UPS: it can tell my system to hibernate (e.g. when I'm not there) and when power is restored it continues where it left off. But I personally rarely use it manually.

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I only hibernate my MacBook. It's back in fractions of a second (standby on the mac is suspend to RAM with suspend to disk as a buffer), I'd never even notice it was sleeping if I didn't know.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
            X