Portable DVD players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable DVD players

Looking at portable dvd players for work (working nights this summer - most stress-free job I've ever had, but boring as ^%$).

I'm considering this: Toshiba 9" Portable DVD Player With DIVX (SDP1900) $210 (CAD)
    Get our Low Price Guarantee, online or in store, on a huge selection of electronics, appliances, furniture, fitness, travel, baby products and more!

There is also a Dynex 7" that is tempting - only $80.

I really wouldn't want to spend any more than the cost of that Toshiba, even that is pushing it. Any more and I'm in laptop terriotory. On that note - if anyone has any used laptops....

edit: leaning towards the Dynex, only a month of summer left anyways, and I'm not planning on getting this job back next year.
    Last edited by Mehen; 3 August 2007, 21:38.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Or how about a few good books instead?
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Tried that - fell asleep

If it wasn't nightshift I would definitely take the reading route. I fall asleep quickly when I read at night - makes studying a pain. A movie would work good because I can still sort of work while watching
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

We own the Dynex (Christmas gift for the kids). Its main flaw (other than dodgy picture quality for some discs which is inevitable even in the pricier units) is that the volume, set to maximum, is... barely adequate in a quiet area. Some discs are MUCH louder, though. I think that it just mixes Dolby Digital extremely poorly. The best sounding discs are the cheezy kids' discs that are just in stereo... and even those aren't loud enough for the car with a window down.

But with headphones or external speakers? It's just fine.

Our next purchase will be one of those two-screen models, so each kid gets a screen and a headset, no more arguing about who gets it in front of them. *sigh*
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

No, they'll argue about what movie to put on (if they are anything like my kids). Why not get anther single unit then they have the choice?
          FT.

Comment

Dynex has trouble with some superbit discs, but add a set of headphones and it's a good way to keep Erik quiet on trips.

For those discs that it has trouble with there are "solutions"
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, I'm in a fairly quiet area, and only a few of my DVDs are superbit, so I think I'll give it a shot. I really don't want to invest more money than I have to.

Comment

Working...
              X