Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minneapolis bridge collapse

Slideshow....

The 1900 ft, 4 lane I-35W bridge collapsed during rush hour.

Several sections down, fear another will fall.

All area hospitals in disaster mode.

Most firefighters called in.

>
    "My truck got completely torn in half," said Gary Bavanaugh, who was on the bridge when it collapsed. "The bridge started shaking and it went down fast."

Bavanaugh said he was headed northbound on I-35W when he heard a huge rumbling and he saw a huge cloud of white dust as the bridge collapsed. He had his seatbelt on and said if he hadn't, his head would have gone through the windshield.

Bavanaugh said a school bus full of children was ahead of him. He got on the bus and helped children, who he estimated to be 8-12 years old, off the bus and off the bridge.

"It is just horrific," said witness Marilyn Franzen, who saw the bridge collapse. Franzen said she saw a school bus that managed to stop before the going over the edge of the bridge that she said was carrying 20-30 children between the ages of 8 and 12 years old.

According to witnesses, cars are crushed and mangled under the bridge where it collapsed onto the shore of the river. Street signs also crushed cars.

The road has been under construction since the beginning of the summer.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 August 2007, 18:52.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Contruction workers on the bridge said they heard the jackhammer, then the bridge started shaking, then it fell.

It a miracle that so relatively few were killed. Especially on that school bus.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
    X