Computer Engineering Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Engineering Job

Anyone know of any place in North America that is hiring computer engineers? I have a friend who just graduated from U of Manitoba and is looking for a job. He's applied to a bunch of places already - seems people want programmers more than engineers though, which isn't really what he wants.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Intel or Sun? Both have offices in the Portland, OR area.

I assume you mean he is looking for places that still focus on hardware.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Yeah, definitely something more hardware-ish. In Canada if possible too, but I think he is flexible.

Keep the ideas coming!
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
        Yeah, definitely something more hardware-ish. In Canada if possible too, but I think he is flexible.

Keep the ideas coming!
        As this is a Matrox forum, does he need to look farther?
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Raytheon is always hiring various engineers also. They have locations across the country, but primarily in the northeast.

Comment

How about GE Fanuc? or Rockwell Automation? PLC field engineering? For Industry That way you get satisfaction when something works, or the plant gets comissioned etc. And you will deal with lots of different things. Maybe after get into telemetry. Plus it's more understandable for mere mortals.

Comment

I've been looking towards Canada, in the same line of work (more hardware than software), and have seen a lot of software jobs, but not many hardware jobs.

Can anyone recommend a 'Head Hunter' company in Canada ?
              One of those places that will find you jobs, in exchange for part of your salary for the first 6-9 months...

I'm not very trustworthy of the websites thrown up by google...

It would probably help your friend also. Its how my brother got his job in the UK, very little hassle, and you get the job of your choice, from a handful they present you with.

Cheers,

Jez

edit: Not hijacking the thread, just jumping on the bandwagon
              Last edited by Evildead666; 1 August 2007, 11:11.
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

If anyone has any other suggestions - please - keep the ideas coming! He's applied to a few of the places mentioned so far, I'll let you guys know if anything works out.

Comment

SpaceX is hiring software engineers, structural engineers and other staff for LA and other locations (Texas, Cape Canaveral etc.). The LA facility they're moving into this summer is 500,000 sq/ft, so it needs 'populating'.

This was announced in a recent SpaceShow interview with one of their execs; Gwynn Shotwell. Last I heard they'e hiring ~200 new people so they can get the Falcon 9 booster and Dragon spaceship ready by late 2008.

IIRC the software will be avionics related, but they're also building their own avionics, guidance, control & launch systems hardware.

SpaceX designs, manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft.

http://www.spacex.com/careers.php9/
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 August 2007, 17:48.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                  X