Are laser printers a health risk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are laser printers a health risk?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I can understand the ultra-fine particles of carbon-loaded wax could present a small health risk, especially to asthmatics. However, surely the answer is to force the laser-printer makers to have precipitators on their machines to prevent these particles from escaping. This would be neither costly (they already have high-voltage generators in the machine) nor difficult. It is ridiculous, as the article suggests, to expect users to take extra precautions.

That having been said, I can affirm from experience that photocopiers are infinitely worse than laser printers, so I cannot understand why the emphasise the printers.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

c't had tests done years ago on laser printers' ozone and micro particle emissions, and while they do emit both, the doses aren't high enough to prevent health risks to ordinary users. Of course, if your office is the size of a cupboard and you print your collection of literature nobel prizes with the window closed, you're bound to get a headache.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Sponsored by Adobe?

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
        ...Of course, if your office is the size of a cupboard and you print your collection of literature nobel prizes with the window closed, you're bound to get a headache.
        No windows, and an HP9000 2m away.
        I don't print to it often, but when I do it can be thousands of pages.
        Last edited by cjolley; 31 July 2007, 09:12. Reason: It's an HP9000
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

The - then, a few years ago - newer HP ones didn't emit as much Ozone (by orders of magnitude) as the old-fashioned Brother printers they tested, but I'm quoting from memory here.

Comment

I used to think I could smell them Laserjet III's when operating.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Yep, the old ones were smelly. Mine is a Laserjet 2200DT and I can't smell anything other than hot paper (especially when double-sided printing).
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

"Photocopier smell" is really ozone.

Comment

I still have a LJ III and I've never smelled ozone or any other smell from it. The thing's are built like a tank. I had the fusor replaced a few years ago (due to not being on a surge protector) and the repair shop said they were one of the few printers worth repairing.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Lats time I was able to smell ozone was somthing like 10 years ago on ancient by todays standards photocopier...

And anyway, the real problem, I guess, with laser printers and photocopiers are particles...in devices which are refilled by users...

Comment

try entering a room in the morning which was being irradiated with UVC all night and you'll never forget how ozone smells like...

Comment

Working...
                      X